Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Happy Heel Dent
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Open Dialog
abhthree
Not sure about your local spot, but the weekends in Tawas have been shaping up to be underpowered. So far this year have only pulled out the 9m once, over Easter. (Possible I have spent too much time at the office, but can only count a few weekdays missed this summer). Shouldn't have been a big surprise to race out to the beach on Friday night and not be able to stay up wind. Ended the session cursing and irritated, tons of F-bombs. Pissed that I needed extensions and the skimboard AGAIN. Even questioned my decision to let my old 18m go a few months back.

But that big lake Huron wind, she knows how to tease, and how to rope me right back in......

Woke up Saturday morning with no thoughts about riding Saturday or Sunday, until the North wind kicked in about 1 o'clock. Got a ride a few miles north of our place and started the session slightly underpowered, but less concerned because I had 5 or so miles to go before I hit Tawas point. The wind built steadily as my fellow board rider and I enjoyed the hair dryer steady North wind. Hit the point and was FINALLY powered. Have a massive heal dent in my surfboard to prove it after working on my strapless airs for over an hour(board still rides great). Not ready for any Youtube highlights, but stomped a couple big ones, so sweet when the wind holds that board to my feet. Nothing like a steady north wind for us regular footers to get some nice kickers in Tawas.

Returned stoked and checked the wind for Sunday, not believing for a second that we would get any East in the big North wind heading our way. Sunday morning woke up to the sound of waves, but wind was offshore at the house. Had ridden a north a few weeks ago with a little too much west for me. Didn't want to be the first to make the trek to Caseville from Tawas. Mowed the lawn and waited for it to turn. It turned onshore enough at 10:20. Took the 9 to the beach just in case and rigged it hoping it would be enough. Dicked around getting off the beach with a little self launch all covered up from the wind. Lake looked raw as the wind was ripping up the water. Hoped I could hit the gas to get through the surf rolling in. Could see the windline on the water, but still didn't have the faith. Hit the windline and that kite took off as if it was angry I had kept it in the bag all summer. It hasn't seen that much blow since Brazil. Rode through swells over my head on the way out. Took a page from my dawg BC and did some up-winding as the wind picked up. Then turned started looping that kite, and rode the biggest faces I have ever experienced in the big lake. Rode up, down, heelside, toeside, powered, looped, til the wind died (to 12m weather) a few hours later.

Wind gods smiled on Tawas this past weekend. Hope they smiled on you too, there's no better feeling than being in the right place at the right time and scoring a session.

Arnot
ORK
Arnot,

Good read man, enjoyed the post and this past weekend in Tawas, more to come next weekend!

QUOTE(abhthree @ Aug 30 2011, 02:46 AM) *
Not sure about your local spot, but the weekends in Tawas have been shaping up to be underpowered. So far this year have only pulled out the 9m once, over Easter. (Possible I have spent too much time at the office, but can only count a few weekdays missed this summer). Shouldn't have been a big surprise to race out to the beach on Friday night and not be able to stay up wind. Ended the session cursing and irritated, tons of F-bombs. Pissed that I needed extensions and the skimboard AGAIN. Even questioned my decision to let my old 18m go a few months back.

But that big lake Huron wind, she knows how to tease, and how to rope me right back in......

Woke up Saturday morning with no thoughts about riding Saturday or Sunday, until the North wind kicked in about 1 o'clock. Got a ride a few miles north of our place and started the session slightly underpowered, but less concerned because I had 5 or so miles to go before I hit Tawas point. The wind built steadily as my fellow board rider and I enjoyed the hair dryer steady North wind. Hit the point and was FINALLY powered. Have a massive heal dent in my surfboard to prove it after working on my strapless airs for over an hour(board still rides great). Not ready for any Youtube highlights, but stomped a couple big ones, so sweet when the wind holds that board to my feet. Nothing like a steady north wind for us regular footers to get some nice kickers in Tawas.

Returned stoked and checked the wind for Sunday, not believing for a second that we would get any East in the big North wind heading our way. Sunday morning woke up to the sound of waves, but wind was offshore at the house. Had ridden a north a few weeks ago with a little too much west for me. Didn't want to be the first to make the trek to Caseville from Tawas. Mowed the lawn and waited for it to turn. It turned onshore enough at 10:20. Took the 9 to the beach just in case and rigged it hoping it would be enough. Dicked around getting off the beach with a little self launch all covered up from the wind. Lake looked raw as the wind was ripping up the water. Hoped I could hit the gas to get through the surf rolling in. Could see the windline on the water, but still didn't have the faith. Hit the windline and that kite took off as if it was angry I had kept it in the bag all summer. It hasn't seen that much blow since Brazil. Rode through swells over my head on the way out. Took a page from my dawg BC and did some up-winding as the wind picked up. Then turned started looping that kite, and rode the biggest faces I have ever experienced in the big lake. Rode up, down, heelside, toeside, powered, looped, til the wind died (to 12m weather) a few hours later.

Wind gods smiled on Tawas this past weekend. Hope they smiled on you too, there's no better feeling than being in the right place at the right time and scoring a session.

Arnot
Jontan
Good to hear from you Arnot! Great read.
KyleK
Yeah ABIII! sounds like a great sesh.

I suffered a knee tweak so I may be joining you strapless/surfy style when Im ready to ride again.

How 'bout this vid here:

http://gallery.cabrinhakites.com/video/188...ens%20on%20Maui

strapless front roll, no grab??!!!?!?
Cruz
Nice Arnot, I also enjoyed the read. I was in Tawas recently on my way home from Up North. I caught a ride on a storm front for a couple of tacks and was then chased away by a massive shelf cloud and downpour. It was picturesque but left me wanting more.

2:24 on that link is outta control!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.