Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Lagoon went off!
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Open Dialog
KyleK
Blue Lagoon went off yesterday with sun, breeze, and 20+ kites on the water, wish we got more of those all day blows.

one thing to keep in mind for newer kiters, unless the wind has some E in it as soon as you get beyond the point it is essentially offshore wind. special care should be taken when you are riding out there. have an issue in deep water and you might have problems. Choose your zone, wrap it up once you are beyond the safe area where its shallow and other kiters can help you if you get in trouble.
edt
QUOTE(KyleK @ Aug 4 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Blue Lagoon went off yesterday with sun, breeze, and 20+ kites on the water, wish we got more of those all day blows.

one thing to keep in mind for newer kiters, unless the wind has some E in it as soon as you get beyond the point it is essentially offshore wind. special care should be taken when you are riding out there. have an issue in deep water and you might have problems. Choose your zone, wrap it up once you are beyond the safe area where its shallow and other kiters can help you if you get in trouble.

Uh, do you mean past the point and north or around the point and south of the blue lagoon?

That is letter A, or letter B? or letter C?
KyleK
'A' is where the going can get tough. The water gets deeper out there, have issues on NW and next stop Canada eh.
edt
QUOTE(KyleK @ Aug 5 2011, 10:14 AM) *
'A' is where the going can get tough. The water gets deeper out there, have issues on NW and next stop Canada eh.

Ah I get it now. When you said "offshore" wind I thought you meant the wind was gusty and bad, what you meant by "offshore" was "Next Stop Canada"

I think if the wind starts to die and you are caught at point A on a northwest, the easiest thing to do is get off your board and start body dragging. You can body drag upwind in much less wind than you can ride upwind.

It's tempting to try the "long tack" go way offshore and way back to try to make it back to the lagoon, but if you fail you are in for a long swim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.