Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to park - Kraft Road
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Where are you riding on the Great Lakes?
flatwater rob
Hey,

Was thinking about trying out the cold Huron water over the next few weeks. Can someone tell me where you park when going out on Kraft road. I know there is a dead-end up there, but needed some guidance on where y'all park....All I can think of is Lakeside Park, but wasn't sure on the rules. Bueller....anyone?

BTW - I'm always interested in tagging along if you are going out. Hit me with an email. I'm good for anything except for the e-coli at the poo poo pond.

Rob - Royal Oak
FellowCountryMan
You can park right on Kraft Rd. We often leave cars there on our downwinders. If your going to Huron to ride and want to stay in the same spot I would suggest Ft. Gratiot County Park off Metcalf Rd. It's about 5 miles north of there and has plenty of room to rig and launch. It's not as shallow at Kraftt but is much more user friendly.
edt
QUOTE(FellowCountryMan @ Jun 18 2011, 09:35 PM) *
You can park right on Kraft Rd. We often leave cars there on our downwinders. If your going to Huron to ride and want to stay in the same spot I would suggest Ft. Gratiot County Park off Metcalf Rd. It's about 5 miles north of there and has plenty of room to rig and launch. It's not as shallow at Kraftt but is much more user friendly.

i was wondering this too, it's not in the location information. Thanks man.
flatwater rob
blink.gif

Thanks

However this begs another question. When I check out the dead end on google maps there are 6 NO PARKING signs scattered on both sides of the dead road east of Gratiot. Does the PO-PO not enforce it? Obviously this is a beach access as they give hours on the gate sign, but for the life of me I still don't understand the parking. Thanks for the Fort Gratiot Park recommendation.

BTW,
How's that Spanish coming in SOCAL?
FellowCountryMan
I don't recall any no parking signs but that's not to say that they are not there. Perhaps they are for a restricted time? What I do know is that with all the great options in the area it's not the end of the world if Kraftt is closed. Keep in mind that the beach is only 50 ft wide at best and a 6' fence goes all the way to the water on both sides. The good news is that there's a lot of options in the area so it's not like you have to ride from that spot. I've also kited from the park just south of Kraftt and has the same shallow water as Kraftt but a lot more room to launch and land. The downside of ridding that close to the end of Lk Huron and the mouth of the St Clair River is that there's a strong current going the same direction as the wind so it's a constant battle to stay up wind. My favorite spot in that area is Lakeport when the day use parking lot on the same side of the lake is open. It's a little rocky on the launch but there's a sand bar just offshore. The current is not strong and there's a nice break in the waves just a few tacks upwind of there. Only go there if there's east in the wind as the launch is in a wind shadow on a due north.

My Spanish is not going well which has me wondering what I learned in the 3yrs of classes. I have baja on my mind and have a feeling I'm going to be heading there in the near future so it may be time to brush up on my skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.