Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Learn to Kiteboard in Cleveland
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Water
Ghayes
I have lived out in Rhode Island for the past 6 years where I learned to surf. I just recently moved back to Cleveland this year and realized that surfing is not the best water sport option for me anymore. I would love to learn to kite instead, but I dont know how or where to get started. I looked around on the web for lessons but haven't had much luck. If anyone can help out with getting me started I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grady
Turtle
Go to www.KiteMI.com and click on the Shops and Schools Links. There is one shop in Toledo and 3-4 in Metro Detroit that might travel down to Ohio for lessons. Cleveland has to be the worst place to try and learn, but Lake Erie around the Michigan border has some forgiving spots. Give the shops on my site a call and see if they will schedule something for you in Ohio. If not, shops near Lake St Clair (3 hours) here in Metro Detroit do training and its perfect for beginners. If you want the best copnditions and looking for a weekend camp look up the shops in Tawas MI pn Lake Huron, its about 5-6 hours from you and well worth it on a good weekend. All gear is included in your training, so there is no need to purchase anything prior to getting instruction.

Let me know what you find or if you need any further information.

John
Sly
I am heading up to Tawas MI June 17-19 with a couple of other Clevelanders - all beginners. Though it is a long drive, it is well worth it; the instruction is excellent (I have taken several lesson with Brian LeFeve at Great Lakes Kiteboarding so mind the the plug, but he and his crew are amazing!), the conditions are very conducive for learning, and the Kiteboarders that frequent the beach are gratuitously friendly, and very helpful no matter what level you - traits you'll sometimes find lacking close to home. If you want any more information do not hesitate to PM me or respond to this post. Good Luck!
Ghayes
Thanks for all the info. I have a couple quick questions. First, I'd like to know how much it cost for the weekend lessons and to stay up there for the weekend. I was hoping to get a couple buddies to come along and learn with me as well but I want to let them know what the damage would be. Also once I take a lesson will I be able to use what I learned around here in Cleveland? Finally how much does it cost to get all my own equipment?

Thanks for the help with this,
Grady
Sly
I can't remember how much lessons cost (I think they were $75 per hour), but they were definitely worth the money. Lessons from an informed certified instructor are an absolute must.

Tawas is relatively inexpensive. We (my wife and I) usually find motel accommodation for around $75 per night - but fair warning, it is rustic to say the least. Off season, rooms are cheaper. There are camp sites at the park if you really want to rough it. Your biggest single expense would likely be gas, because beer up there is ridiculously cheap smile.gif

I am not a fast learner generally speaking, so I was not able to integrate what I learned in the first weekend and apply it here in Cleveland. Everyone I have ever talked to regarding progression has said the same thing "time on the water". That being said, Cleveland is not the place to practice as a beginner for a number of reasons. The magic of Tawas is that on the Bay side you can walk almost endlessly and still be in waste deep water - so you can afford mistakes. There is a certain piece of mind in being able to stand up when things aren't going your way. On the lake side (Huron) you can't walk out as far but the beach is at least a mile long and it isn't overly crowded - its a great place to do circuits or mini downwinders. Suffice to say that Tawas is the type of place that is great for beginners.

Equipment can get expensive but once you have it the wind is free - like anything you can spend a small fortune. I'd hesitate to give you a cost because I don't really know but I spent around $1500 for my rig.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Please keep in mind that I am a beginner too so a second opinion from a more experienced Kiteboarder is welcomed. Also, I am obviously keen on Tawas, partly because thats where I learned, but also because of the people I have me there - everyone up there is extremely friendly and helpful, but I am sure there are other good places to learn. I have enclosed the name and contact information from the folks that I learned from, Brian LeFeve runs the shop and he is an awesome guy and a great instructor.

Great Lakes Kiteboarding II
211 Newman St.
E. Tawas MI 48730
586-822-6511
ORK
Grady,

We can get you dialed in Tawas, we have a waterfront shop in East Tawas, lodging options right next door also, we've taught lots of people from OH, here is a summary of our lessons and camps, PM me with questions or drop us a line:

Visit My Website

Motor City Kiteboarding
sales@motorcitykiteboarding.com
586-943-5172
http://www.motorcitykiteboarding.com

QUOTE(Ghayes @ May 21 2011, 04:26 AM) *
I have lived out in Rhode Island for the past 6 years where I learned to surf. I just recently moved back to Cleveland this year and realized that surfing is not the best water sport option for me anymore. I would love to learn to kite instead, but I dont know how or where to get started. I looked around on the web for lessons but haven't had much luck. If anyone can help out with getting me started I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grady

Bruce
About kiteboarding close to Cleveland, I know there is a group that ride around Sandusky. They posted a link to a video with Cedar Point in the back ground. The video is great. Try the link below.

This is the beginning of my third season kiting. And I am totally addicted. So, I will take my gear where ever there is a big enough body of water, access to the water and on-shore or side-shore winds. I think that is part of the beauty of this sport, a kite, a board and your ready to go. Cleveland should be perfect with the prevailing westerly winds funneling right up the lakeshore and past downtown.

As the other posts mention, lessons are critical. Bad things happen fast when your hooked to a kite. I feel completely comfortable and independent because of the lessons I took. It's more fun to ride with a group, but I won't hestitate to ride alone.

I hope it works out for you. It takes a bit of patience with the wind and yourself. I consider myself a fast learner and it was 2 - 3 months before I was up and riding. Part of that 3 months was due to my job, my wife and an attempt at a session every two weeks.

Sandbar Gnar
Bearhe
Is anyone from Cleveland planning to go to Tawas this fall? I really want to get up there before the end of Oct. Anybody want to come with? I have taken a few lessons in Michigan and am also looking for good Cleveland spots for beginners. Thanks!

Laura
440-263-7970
lauram427@gmail.com
Sly
QUOTE(Bearhe @ Aug 31 2011, 03:25 PM) *
Is anyone from Cleveland planning to go to Tawas this fall? I really want to get up there before the end of Oct. Anybody want to come with? I have taken a few lessons in Michigan and am also looking for good Cleveland spots for beginners. Thanks!

Laura
440-263-7970
lauram427@gmail.com

You got me thinking kiteboarding...so I am going up to Tawas on the third weekend of September (16-18).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.