Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skimboards
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Open Dialog
Marty B
Looking into lightwind kiting options. Sounds like getting a skimboard would significantly improve riding options in light wind. I thinking I would primarily be using it on Lake Michigan near South Haven in the summer. I have also read that one can use a kite (a specifically designed one) with a stand up paddle board (sounds like alot more money). Experts please chime in. Thanks.
jitters
u could b like brar and just buy a quiver of surfboards. ps. ssp afternoon tea[this message sent from my wii]
joel
Skims are the way to go if you are looking for an economical light wind solution. Large surface area and flat. Good way to start to learn strapless ollies, jibes etc. Cheap.

The lightwind specific boards (doors, wings, etc) are essentially elongated skims with footstraps. Great if you are into mowing the lawn and doing 4 foot dingle dangles to wow beach goers and brag about lightwind statistics. Complete with $600-$800 price tag.

Surfboards aren't as lightwind friendly as most people think, especially if your back foot is towards the tail of the board where the footstrap holes are located. Strapless you can ride further forward but I'd still take a skim over surfboard for pushing low wind ability.

SUPs are big. I was able to get mine on plane on the Hatteras sound, but was lit 9M. Can't imagine it being much fun in Lake Michigan chop.

Other option are the race specific boards. Big, flat and a big skag to head upwind. These are fairly new in development. I've never ridden one.

That being said, I have a 2011 LF Kitefish sitting in my closet still wrapped in plastic looking for an owner. I picked it up when it came out to start getting into strapless/lightwind, before I got to use it I ended up blowing out my knee at a cable park. Refocusing to strapless surf so invested in a kite specific surfboard.

PM me if you are interested.
edt
the liquid force fish is sweet. There's no reason you need a skimboard for lightwind you can go with a spleene door just as well. But if you are mowing the grass, might as well go strapless it's more fun. The SUPs are not as much fun with a kite, supposedly it's like trying to ride a log, hard to edge, easy to get pulled off.
Tkettlepoint
you could always have a custom surf, skim,skate, twin skim made by www.jellyfishboards.com

I can go in 8knots on my custom rocket fish.. strapless of course

Terrie
FellowCountryMan
I rode my Kitefish today in 15 kts with chest to head high waves. I swapped out the fins for longer ones and it performed really well. I could slash some waves and get back up wind without any issues. I did swap it out for my twin tip and I was not able to get back up wind.
suckinseawater_merged
There's always lawn darts and beer.@
wolfie

I've not ridden anything better than my Glide for light wind. Skims are good too... but I can't say I've ridden one that competes with the Glide. However, they are really good for light wind, plus it's another style of riding... I say try one!
FellowCountryMan
Here's a solution.

wavejet
abhthree
I rid myself of those pesky straps after spending some time with Cruz and Xavier showing off for the camera in Brazil. As DC says, "when you reach a certain age your shit starts to hurt." My body has thanked me since.

I ride a custom skim from Roush Creations. I am a big fan but it was hard to get, I would not recommend sending him any money, until you see a board. I agree that it performs in much less wind than a surfboard. You can also ride it forward and backward like a twintip, not having to jibe, and keep up your speed in light winds. I rode Kyle's LF Twinskim last year and liked that. I was told they are cheap, but have no idea. My board is lighter and spins nicer for shuv-its.

The cool part of the skim for me is no fins. You can ride in super shallow water, but that can also lead to some massive diggers. I feel like I ride slower on the skim than a surfboard, and when it's pretty juicy out the chop can be difficult to keep your feet under you. It forces you to keep on your edge. A well designed one will cruise right up wind. You will drive yourself crazy trying to "tech out" on skims. It's really a style preference whether to go lightwind specific board or skim.
ORK
Well with all that tech expressed here, here is the simple solution, I suggest everyone demo the following quiver fillers as they are very affordable:

$299.99 Liquid Force Twinskim, you'll ride like this and Arnot:

$349.99 KiteFish w/straps, you'll ride like CA boy Jahmi:

GLK LeFeve
QUOTE(Marty B @ May 10 2011, 01:37 AM) *
Looking into lightwind kiting options. Sounds like getting a skimboard would significantly improve riding options in light wind. I thinking I would primarily be using it on Lake Michigan near South Haven in the summer. I have also read that one can use a kite (a specifically designed one) with a stand up paddle board (sounds like alot more money). Experts please chime in. Thanks.

Hey Marty,

If youíre looking for a skim to ride on Lake Michigan I would really re consider getting a light wind surfboard. Dealing with waves on a skim is not the easiest and even on light wind days in Grand Haven the waves are still something you will have to contend with. Donít get me wrong skims are great and cheap for flatter water but if you look at what 90% of the guys on Lake Michigan are riding you will see its mostly surfboards. Surfboard specific for kiting will allow you to ride real waves and utilize the same board for light winds. I own 2 surfboards and my biggest kite is a 12mÖ.no need for big kites too when youíre riding a surfboard! Also riding strapless in light winds gives you more range and options for foot placement.

Just my 2 cents. We have plenty of Slingshot (bamboo) surfs, Best and Jimmy Lewis surfs available for demo anytime.

Ride safe and have fun!

Brian LeFeve
Great Lakes Kiteboarding
586 822 6511
www.glkite.com

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.