Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Florida Keys Report
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Open Dialog
wolfie
Hey guys,
A few of you have asked about my trip to the keys, so I thought I'd post my log. It was a great trip, rode every day in a shorty or boardshorts and rashguard. Met some cool locals, ate some good food, and saw a part of the world I'd never seen.

Here are the gory details, for those interested:

Stayed in Islamorada, Executive Bay Condos.

Arrived Sat 22nd:
- kited Founders Park on a NW, lit on my 9m, kited with a porpoise (he was jumping about 30 feet away from me).

Sun 23rd:
- no wind in the morning, rented a paddleboard from Otherside boardsports for $50 bucks and went out into the mangrove islands. Paddled for a few hours, saw some rays and a few fish. Then the wind picked up and we headed back and made it to Whale Harbor for a 2 hour evening sesh. Lightish wind, rode the 14m.

Mon 24th:
- beautiful day, but now wind. Tried to ride in the evening at Founders, but it didn't amount to much. Managed to go upwind a bit before getting downwinded back to the beach. Still a great day in the keys...

Tue 25th:
- Rode the 9m ALL DAY at Anne's Beach.

Wed 26th:
- Rode the 9m ALL DAY again at Anne's Beach. Locals taught me how to boost the Wainman Smoke. Was getting some insane floaty jumps! ;-)

Thur:
- Went to key west and caught a boat with the kitehouse crew and went out and rode some flats. Was lit on my 14 (could have ridden the 9). Landed my first front-roll! ;-)

Beach details:
Founders is the biggest beach that we hit (and it wasn't that big!) , with nice sand and a grassy area for setting up/breaking down gear. It costs $8 per person to use this park. It's on the bay side.

Whale Harbour has SKETCHY launch site. It's small, right off a parking lot and there's no sand, only crushed breaker wall that loves to snag kite lines. Costs $10 per person. It's on the ocean side, pretty close to Founders.

Anne's beach is small, but sandy. Nice park with gazebos and restrooms. The locals here were super cool and helped with launching/landing kites. Great flats to ride at this beach. It's ocean-side.

Anyone that goes to Islmorada, go to Otherside Board Sports. Noel is super cool. We got a wind report from him every day.

Also get the Deep Fried Mushrooms and Smilin' Bobs Fish Dip from Chilli Willies! mmmmmmmm ;-)

sojopo
QUOTE(wolfie @ Feb 3 2011, 10:50 AM) *
Hey guys,
A few of you have asked about my trip to the keys, so I thought I'd post my log. It was a great ...

Also get the Deep Fried Mushrooms and Smilin' Bobs Fish Dip from Chilli Willies! mmmmmmmm ;-)

Nice report. For 30 seconds, this snowy morning, I was there with you. And finishing with the mushrooms was awesome..... smile.gif

What 14 are you riding, and what was the key to boosting the smoke?
wolfie
Hey,
The 14m is a 2008 Liquid Force Havoc.

Regarding the smoke, some locals pointed out that I needed to jump it more like a C style kite (which I've never done), but this is how the explained it.
- Put the kite down low, around 9:30, maybe 10.
- get good speed and power
- ease off the board and go downwindish for a second. this brings the kite downwind of you
- then edge hard and the kite will shoot upwind. as it's doing this crank the bar HARD. Then release the board and UP YOU GO!

With my havoc I've not put the kite so low before jumping. Also, I don't usually ease off the edge first. Might try it next time though, just to see.
sojopo
QUOTE(wolfie @ Feb 5 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Regarding the smoke, some locals pointed out that I needed to jump it more like a C style kite (which I've never done), but this is how the explained it.
- Put the kite down low, around 9:30, maybe 10.
- get good speed and power
- ease off the board and go downwindish for a second. this brings the kite downwind of you
- then edge hard and the kite will shoot upwind. as it's doing this crank the bar HARD. Then release the board and UP YOU GO!

I'm pretty new to jumping, so that downwinding the kite bit is interesting.

I've been told to merely flick the kite from 11 or 1 while edging the board hard upwind, but find the same thing, that I get better lift with some momentum on the kite moving toward 12, starting lower. The board I've been riding is too big to cut real hard, so I figured that's why I've had to crank the kite so hard. Looking into a smaller board already.
jitters
finally got down here for the month. will be at bahia honda primarily. brought an sup w me to make the time go by!!
wolfie
QUOTE(sojopo @ Feb 6 2011, 01:01 PM) *
I'm pretty new to jumping, so that downwinding the kite bit is interesting.

I've been told to merely flick the kite from 11 or 1 while edging the board hard upwind, but find the same thing, that I get better lift with some momentum on the kite moving toward 12, starting lower. The board I've been riding is too big to cut real hard, so I figured that's why I've had to crank the kite so hard. Looking into a smaller board already.

Here are some things you could try if you haven't already. I'm not the best jumper, but can jump fairly well. This will be my 5th season riding and I've always been on havocs, so changing to the Wainman was a bit of an adjustment for jumping.

Controlled small jumps:
1. Get enough speed to have a little power built up.
2. Get a good edge planted (go slightly upwind)
3. Put the kite up near 11.
4. Have a wide grip on the bar (i.e. have your hands spread apart from each other)
5. Remove your leading hand from the bar. (now the kite will naturally go up to 12)
6. When the kite starts to pull you up, ollie the board (sort of pull up on your leading foot, to raise the leading edge of the board out of the water, then pull up on your trailing foot to release the board entirely, but it's done in one smooth motion)
7. Once you're in the air, put your leading hand on the bar and remove your back one. This will bring the kite back down to the riding position.
8. Land the board with it pointing downwind. (A lot of people make the mistake of trying to land the board going cross wind.)
9. Put both hands on the bar and put the kite where you need it to ride.

You'll have to play with the timing of removing your hands from the bar.

Then when you're trying bigger jumps:
Do steps 1 through 4 above.
5. Send the kite by turning the bar, with more force, but don't over send it. (Try not to go past 12:30 or 1, I'd guess)
6. same as above
7. Once you're in the air, get the kite above you like a parachute and pull in on the bar.
8. same as above. As you're coming down move the kite back to 10 or so because you need to land with enough power to keep moving. You might even need to dip the kite down and up similar to how you do a board start.

Biggest problems I see when people are learning is over sending the kite, and not landing with enough speed to keep going. (You don't need a ton of speed to keep going, mind you).

Which board do you have?

MikeyB
Hi Rob,

How was the airport with the luggage? Any lessons learnt there?

Michael
sojopo
QUOTE(wolfie @ Feb 7 2011, 07:37 AM) *
Here are some things you could try if you haven't already. I'm not the best jumper, but can ...

Biggest problems I see when people are learning is over sending the kite, and not landing with enough speed to keep going. (You don't need a ton of speed to keep going, mind you).

Which board do you have?

Currently riding my OR Mako King (huge, but an awesome board) and my son's Slingshot Ignition. Gotta get into something smaller....

I like the tip on the hand switch. Will try that. Thought I was doing something wrong landing pointing downwind, but that felt right, and I was having fun, so... biggrin.gif
sojopo
Oh, and to get back to the thread, I will say that the guys at otherside seemed pretty cool on the phone when I bought my harness from them. Will definitely check in there when I get down to FL.
wolfie
QUOTE(MikeyB @ Feb 7 2011, 03:43 PM) *
Hi Rob,

How was the airport with the luggage? Any lessons learnt there?

Michael

Hey English Michael!
No problems with the bag. I spent a lot of time weighing it before I left to ensure that it was under 50lbs and they didn't even weigh it when I got to the airport! I did curb side check in and I always tell them it's water skis because those are free. Then if they start asking more questions I tell them it's actually wake boards. The key is to NEVER say surfboard!!! They charge a lot for those.

I'll return the bag soon (actually used it twice because I took it to Colorado too! :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.