Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Board Recommendation?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Where are you riding on the Great Lakes?
sojopo
Looking to get a new twintip board. Started in april on a LF Proof, instantly realized it's limitations and grabbed an ocean rodeo Mako King. Love the Mako, but it's just too big. Looking to get into a smaller twintip, something light, stays on my feet in the air, maneuverable for pop, but handles the chop well. I'm no experte, intermediate at best. Recommendations? (175#)

SoJoPo
Bruce
Hi,

This will be my third season riding. I'm not an expert either, but I got a chance last fall to compare my current board, Cabrinha 138 Icon to a North 135 Gonzalez(demo from Detroit kiteboarding). I'm about 175 lbs. The differences were remarkable. The Gonzalez rode upwind really well and it has a lot of flex so it soaks up the chop. It was forgiving landing jumps because of the board flex (some say mushy). No real complaints with the Icon except that it had no flex. I actually injured my heel (3 months of pain, enough to cause a limp, then a month of numbness) on a landing partly because of the rock hard board and partly because I'm not that good at landing jumps. wink.gif

As far as the straps were concerned, they were both good. Although I had to repair the Cabrinha straps because they pulled through the mounting bolts to the board.

These boards might be big compared to what you are looking for, but independent of size, I think the board characteristic can be quite different. I guess the best thing would be to demo a board if you have a chance. Also some of the shop owners are quite good at recommending boards.

Good luck.
ORK
QUOTE(sojopo @ Jan 15 2011, 05:42 AM) *
Looking to get a new twintip board. Started in april on a LF Proof, instantly realized it's limitations and grabbed an ocean rodeo Mako King. Love the Mako, but it's just too big. Looking to get into a smaller twintip, something light, stays on my feet in the air, maneuverable for pop, but handles the chop well. I'm no experte, intermediate at best. Recommendations? (175#)

SoJoPo

Mako King is a monster at 165 x 45! If you've got a quiver of good kites, check out the 2011 Liquid Force Edge 136 x 42.5, another board that will handle what you outlined is the Contact 137 and it's a step up in performance from the Edge. Demo these when the water season returns and see what you think. I ride everything and these are good value boards. From here you'll jump to a different price tier in kiteboards but you'll get lighter overall weight, different flex profiles, rocker outlines, and progressive bottom contours which all change the ride feel.
sojopo
QUOTE(ORK @ Jan 25 2011, 12:35 PM) *
Mako King is a monster at 165 x 45! If you've got a quiver of good kites, check out the 2011 Liquid Force Edge 136 x 42.5, another board that will handle what you outlined is the Contact 137 and it's a step up in performance from the Edge. Demo these when the water season returns and see what you think. I ride everything and these are good value boards. From here you'll jump to a different price tier in kiteboards but you'll get lighter overall weight, different flex profiles, rocker outlines, and progressive bottom contours which all change the ride feel.

Thanks Mark Yeah, the mako king is truly large. But for learning it was great, I'll never regret the purchase or sell it. Love running it mutant, it's really a fun, incredibly smooth carving board, and you would never know it's choppy out when riding it. But, it's certainly not a jumper, and it's time to get into a traditional board. Will check out these recommendations for sure, not afraid to get into "the next price tier", either. If there's a standout let me know.
ORK
The standout would be the Liquid Force KAOS 136.

http://liquidforcekites.com/product/boards/kiteboards/kaos/
PBKiteboarding
Great Allround Board for the Great Lakes...

The Aboards X-Series 137x42....
I use it for everything from flat to chop and move to the Aboards GLider when I need more
power as the winds drop... I have the new 2011 and 2010 Demo...
Fast upwind, full 3D Boards, Carbon Stringers, stainless insert....
Riding it in this vid. Can Ship...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9wrfDe8Kc

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com
Brar
QUOTE(sojopo @ Jan 15 2011, 05:42 AM) *

SoJoPo

Do demo before you buy, and also give Nobiles a try. Really sweeet boards. You just can't go
wrong with the Nobile 555 also called the popping machine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.