Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metro Anyone?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Where are you riding on the Great Lakes?
Cruz
Looks good from the south. Anyone goin besides me? Pretty warm out.
edt
QUOTE(Cruz @ Nov 30 2010, 01:14 PM) *
Looks good from the south. Anyone goin besides me? Pretty warm out.

i went this morning it was weak and my 14 is still in the shop so i packed it in

plenty warm tho
ORK
I have to say Metro went off in style, what a way to put an end to the water riding season, it was a good one, lifty as hell! Hello to MI winter.
Julien
Metro went off in style?! Darn, I missed it! How about we close the Goon in style on Sunday smile.gif
edt
QUOTE(Julien @ Dec 2 2010, 04:07 PM) *
Metro went off in style?! Darn, I missed it! How about we close the Goon in style on Sunday smile.gif

it will be freezing 25F or -4C . you'll get icicles on your kite & lines
Julien
Come on Eric! You're always the first one in the water and the last one out! Don't let me down :)
christ
OK, guess I should have said it works perfectly in my usage of it.
Bruce
I want to go, but I think Ed is right. If you water launch or just put your kite in the drink, once it gets into the air, the water will freez on it and the lines. I don't know if that will cause a problem or not. I've never experience it in the water or on the ice, snowkiting. Can anyone enlighten us?
edt
QUOTE(Bruce @ Dec 4 2010, 08:47 AM) *
I want to go, but I think Ed is right. If you water launch or just put your kite in the drink, once it gets into the air, the water will freez on it and the lines. I don't know if that will cause a problem or not. I've never experience it in the water or on the ice, snowkiting. Can anyone enlighten us?

Your kite will just be covered in sheets of ice covering the canopy that shatter and fall off when you land the kite, and your lines get covered in ice that you have to scrape off so it doesnt build up. It's possible for your flag out line to freeze onto flag out ring, and your trim line to either freeze onto the opening of your bar too or to build up so much ice that you cant depower the kite. I'm not too worried about that, you can chip off the ice so it stays free, but all that wear from the ice scares me, and I ride my kites hard already. I would rather be out there in 33 degrees air than 31 degrees air. Or just wait for snowkite season.
edt
Cruz
Agreed MK! I had a stellar hour-long session with Brar and a couple other dudes! Some crazy weather systems moving across the lake gave a visually stunning sky as a backdrop, with nice lifty wind and warm air temps. My only regret is that I didn't show up earlier. December in the water is not for me. See ya in the Spring Metro (unless the lake freezes and gets some deep powder!)
Bruce
Julien,

Are you still thinking about kiting at the Goon tomorrow?

I was thinking that the air will be warmer around and above the Lake, hopefully above freezing.

I need to get an early start though, somewhere around 10 A.M. Post a reply or call my cell 248-760-2688.
biohorn
Gonna test my 16M tomorrow.
After that, will be riding my 5 at the PP. Lookn forward to that warm mercury power plant water. Will land the kite there in the hot water a few times to thaw it out.

H.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.