Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple choice question regarding kite safety.
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Open Dialog
Jontan
Multiple choice question regarding kite safety.

Your just getting out of the water from kiteboarding with your kite in the air. The launch area is a bit sketchy, muddy and there is not much room with many obstacles. It's blowing 22 ktn side onshore and you plan on landing the kite with assistance(your friendly assistant is waiting to grab the kite from you), but as you are walking more inland, a larger dog comes running up to you and around you in circles barking(your not sure if he is friendly or not). At this point what is thee most important thing to do?

A. Jump over the dog to get away from him fast.

B. Ignore the loud dog running around you and focus on keeping full control of the kite.

C. Get completely distracted from the dog, crash your kite on the ground and in doing so, you yourself fall to the ground. Then go blame the owner for creating a hazard.

D. Play with the dog, become his friend, with the kite in the air and then land the kite.

E. Drop kick him, kite style.

nboarder
D.
tea time tony
E

it sounds like someone had a prob at Blue Lagoon today?
KyleK
im not sure what i'd do, barking dogs ignite me with emotion when they're running at me.

Jontan, post this same question on kiteforum or another broader use kite forum, i'd be curious to see the results when a larger community is polled.
Jontan
No dog should be all up in anybodies grill as they are kiting. This extra hazard is not good, and should not be(I'm sure lessons were learned). But at an unfortunate event, a big dog is running around barking all excited as you come in from kiting, ...what to do?

Like any other distractions it is most important to focus on the task at hand, safely, even if the environment is not safe.

Same for riding a bike and a big dog runs up to you, you not knowing if it is friendly-excited or mean. Control the bike first.

Lets all learn from this...

posted on kiteforum.com
Julien
I saw C happen yesterday... I too, get pretty sketched out by dogs I don't know. It's hard to tell in advance how you would react in that split second, but I guess I would prefer to get bitten than dragged around the 'goon on a 22knots day. So I go for B
jitters
c plus f. c only because i weigh alot and it takes alot to loft me! f= land kite, pet dog, walk to owner and give him a nice double leg take down and put my non boardshort junk on him....jitters style. and i can choose f because im a viking and thats what we do....just ask brar about the match in his front yard ph34r.gif ph34r.gif
dakaunman
I would run as fast as possible with my kite hi in the sky, jump over the owner of the dog karate kite style, crash my kite on the non-boardshort wearing Viking, and then play with the great big dog unless it was a poodle! (I would kick the poodle right away and then beat up the owner while focusing on not crashing my kite) blink.gif
FellowCountryMan
I would put the owner in a frog costume and throw them in the chimp exhibit at the zoo.

chimp and the frog
Jontan
QUOTE(FellowCountryMan @ Oct 4 2010, 08:09 PM) *
I would put the owner in a frog costume and throw them in the chimp exhibit at the zoo.

Wow! I just got hard!

FellowCountryMan
QUOTE(Jontan @ Oct 4 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Wow! I just got hard!

LOL!

Jontan to give you a more serious answer. I had a situation similar to this happen to me at Gull this summer and I just chilled trying to make friends with the dog.
Victor
QUOTE(FellowCountryMan @ Oct 4 2010, 08:09 PM) *

chimp and the frog

I heard that frog gave birth to hairy banana eating offsprings.

My answer is none of the above. I shit in my pants if a dog I dont know is headed near me barking. I was once bitten by a sheppard so since then I shit in my pants when they come up to me barking. I got teeth marks on my left cheek to prove it. I am just lucky he didnt bite me in frount where Red got me.
Cruz
Jitters unhand that frog you beast!

FYI: I would ignore the dog completely. If attacked, I would pull primary release and put the dog into a spectra choke-hold/muzzle. The owner should have more control over the dog obviously but the dog is most likely over-excited, startled, or anxious/afraid and would not bite unless provoked. An aggressive dog would move slowly with ears forward, tail up, low-pitched barking and growling/snarling. My dogs are mellow around kites (and kiters without board shorts) now but that was not always the case. When a young dog is first exposed to a kite beach their behavior can be unpredictable. Let him hang out with Zeppelin a little bit and he'd chill the F out!
Jontan
QUOTE(Cruz @ Oct 4 2010, 10:37 PM) *
Jitters unhand that frog you beast!
Let him hang out with Zeppelin a little bit and he'd chill the F out!

Cruz, I love your knowledge about dogs(and your so right about it), but many don't have the slightest idea. It is Zeppelin that gets SUPER excited(like nothing else I know) around kites. Everywhere else he is chill. I think he knows how exciting it is for us, and he feeds off that.

....anyways. Nobody got hurt. I will keep him in check and use these opportunities to train him better.

Keep control of that kite, NO MATTER WHAT!
Cruz
He'll grow out of it. My dogs used to do the same thing now they are just like whatever....at around age 2 the behavior disappeared and I didn't do very much at all. Continuous positive reinforcement and exposure.

Do some leash training (heel, sit, lay down and eventually stay) during a busy day at the launch. First off to the side, and eventually right in the middle of the action. Move farther away until the distraction is overcome and then move right back in closer. Timing and consistency is everything.
jitters
now i know why your name is country bumpkin. because if you found a youtube video of that caliber it HAS to be true
Cruz
Pocket frog is the new craze.
Victor
Sheep are getting jealous of frogs after that video.
FellowCountryMan
QUOTE(jitters @ Oct 5 2010, 03:12 PM) *
now i know why your name is country bumpkin. because if you found a youtube video of that caliber it HAS to be true

Credit for finding that video goes to Luke.
Victor
QUOTE(FellowCountryMan @ Oct 5 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Credit for finding that video goes to Luke.

And I thought you filmed that last Halloween after you dressed up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.