Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie, big guy, big kite, what board?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Where are you riding on the Great Lakes?
wanderer-rrorc
so im a newbie..(obvious)...but I can kite..

Im in central ohio and talked to a few guys local already..they indicate BIG kites for the local area fer beginners (low wind)...

Im a biggun...5'10 300lb..muscular but still fatty..work all day..not some computer gamer eatin chips and surfin the net (no offense to chip-eatin-internet-surfers)..so athletics not too much a problem..just have trouble walkin away from a good meal..(and recenlty the wife had twins and the last 8months have been alot of being in the house helpin and less firewood/trucks/man-work)..

Ive got a 20 meter Naish v4 comin..I need some feedback on this..and I'm planning on goin 55cm bar due to my shoulder width but not sure on a 5 line setup or not..(dont wanna over-complicate things..and I KNOW Im gonna end up getting a diffrent setup as I learn and get a feel for the rite kite for me..)

but I have NO idea what board..Im fairly sure a symetrical board (non-directional) is what I will use so I dont have to swap my freddy-flinstone feet...but im at a loss for a decent setup, size length and width..fins..bindings...clueless..

so I would LOVE some recomendations on other kites and boards that are more versatile and best suited to my large frame..

Im not afraid to spend some money..for the last decade we did 4x4 rock crawling (east coast team 2 years)....lemme tell ya..its EXPENSIVE..BUT...I sold my diesel old towrig..and got a realy nice camper setup for the family (3 kids) and a 2010 tundra doublecab to put it in..but I need something to do at the beach OTHER than not look at OTHER women..(wifes rules..not mine!)

...so I can haul 5 guys/gear and as long as someone double bunks over the cab..and someone sleeps on the floor..I got space in my truck camper for 5 guys..(and heat..and big fridge that can be filled with meat and prefered suds for patient teachers!!)...(gotta love tradin help for beer and steaks/ribs/bbq!!)

anybody have any advise/personal experiance for a fat guy thats not afraid of lookin like an idiot?

*vegitarians*....I hope to not offend you...If your anti-meat Im sure I can find some grass or rabbit food for you as well..but your probably too weak to surf...so Im sorry..biggrin.gif
GRJosh
QUOTE(wanderer-rrorc @ Jul 26 2010, 11:52 PM) *
so im a newbie..(obvious)...but I can kite..

Im in central ohio and talked to a few guys local already..they indicate BIG kites for the local area fer beginners (low wind)...

Im a biggun...5'10 300lb..muscular but still fatty..work all day..not some computer gamer eatin chips and surfin the net (no offense to chip-eatin-internet-surfers)..so athletics not too much a problem..just have trouble walkin away from a good meal..(and recenlty the wife had twins and the last 8months have been alot of being in the house helpin and less firewood/trucks/man-work)..

Ive got a 20 meter Naish v4 comin..I need some feedback on this..and I'm planning on goin 55cm bar due to my shoulder width but not sure on a 5 line setup or not..(dont wanna over-complicate things..and I KNOW Im gonna end up getting a diffrent setup as I learn and get a feel for the rite kite for me..)

but I have NO idea what board..Im fairly sure a symetrical board (non-directional) is what I will use so I dont have to swap my freddy-flinstone feet...but im at a loss for a decent setup, size length and width..fins..bindings...clueless..

so I would LOVE some recomendations on other kites and boards that are more versatile and best suited to my large frame..

Im not afraid to spend some money..for the last decade we did 4x4 rock crawling (east coast team 2 years)....lemme tell ya..its EXPENSIVE..BUT...I sold my diesel old towrig..and got a realy nice camper setup for the family (3 kids) and a 2010 tundra doublecab to put it in..but I need something to do at the beach OTHER than not look at OTHER women..(wifes rules..not mine!)

...so I can haul 5 guys/gear and as long as someone double bunks over the cab..and someone sleeps on the floor..I got space in my truck camper for 5 guys..(and heat..and big fridge that can be filled with meat and prefered suds for patient teachers!!)...(gotta love tradin help for beer and steaks/ribs/bbq!!)

anybody have any advise/personal experiance for a fat guy thats not afraid of lookin like an idiot?

*vegitarians*....I hope to not offend you...If your anti-meat Im sure I can find some grass or rabbit food for you as well..but your probably too weak to surf...so Im sorry..biggrin.gif

Ha ha ha....awesome post. Like the dig on veggie heads. Bein a bigger guy myself (6'6" 225) I can tell ya that most of the trick is gonna be from technique. Its gonna take time, time, and more time on the water to be comfortable with kiting. Yes, the bigger kites are going to be very beneficial for a bigger guy and with the design and efficiency of many of the newer kites, the huge 18m+ sizes are becoming obsolete...even for the bigger guys. I have ridden a 14 meter for the past two seasons in some VERY light wind without issues at all.

As far as a board, youre going to want something that is gonna be wider and atleast 145cm in length I would say. Something to keep you on top of the water as best as possible, but will also allow for substantial progression and ease of use.

Hope this helps out!!!

--Josh

p.s. sent u a pm
jitters
big guys rule!! i got a couple of large setups ill give you cheap!! this guy from ann arbor is really slippery dealer.... his alias is curry chicken. he buys all this gear and then tries to off it,,,,,,,,,,,,,buyer beware
FellowCountryMan
As a big guy you want kites with a lot of power that move throught the window quick and fast board to keep up with it. It appears you have your kite already so the board I recommend is a Liquid Force Kaos 139.
wanderer-rrorc
QUOTE(jitters @ Jul 27 2010, 06:41 PM) *
big guys rule!! i got a couple of large setups ill give you cheap!! this guy from ann arbor is really slippery dealer.... his alias is curry chicken. he buys all this gear and then tries to off it,,,,,,,,,,,,,buyer beware

is that CANTON ohio????????????????

PM me the details...my inlaws live north of akron..so we're up that way as much as the wife can drag me...and within the next few weeks we'll be there a couple times...and the wife green-lighted kite-surfing so my secret stash can be spent with her permission (is it secret if she knows about it?)

are you in the vid with the 19m surfin while everybody else is playin bobber? (floatin)
MikeB
No offense taken. I'm 190 lb vegetarian. I ride a 141 length board. It's the middle range of flysurfer boards( flyradical). At your size and since your starting out, I would get a little bigger or a light wind board. Something with a flat rocker for easy planing. My 141 is marginal for light winds.

Is there a local spot to ride at close to you? Sorry I really don't know much about alot of different boards. The bigger boards are easier to get a ride on when your first starting out. You will always use it later on for a light wind board.

I was looking myself for boards like this at one time. Had to pick a smaller board though because of size of trunk in car.

Crazy Fly Light Wind Board

I'd Check some reviews online. Maybe someone can let you demo some different boards too.

Not that you would only be able to ride a big board, It just helps when your starting out. You don't even have to go with that big of a board. I have a bigger board than the 141, but It's a strapless home made plywood board.

Flatter wider board = easy planing
More rocker = Need more wind -

Keep us up to date on any boards you might be looking at. Maybe someone will speak up with there experience with it.

Happy Kiteing! -- P.S. I still love those big kites. Wish there were more people with them still.
MikeB
139 Kaos looks sweet. Double concave. Does that also help with easier planing? Can't find any pictures of the rocker. Is it somewhat flat through the middle?
FellowCountryMan
QUOTE(MikeB @ Jul 27 2010, 07:25 PM) *
139 Kaos looks sweet. Double concave. Does that also help with easier planing? Can't find any pictures of the rocker. Is it somewhat flat through the middle?

Yes the the flat rocker of the Kaos does help with early planning and the double concave helps smooth out the ride. I ride the 136 version and have been impressed with the ride your welcome to try it anytime.
ORK
I recommend the 2010 Liquid Force WLF 145 X 46, stands for optimal for "Wide Large Fella's". KAOS is the real deal for sure but being a newbie the WLF is a great lightwind performance machine. Add the KAOS later on down the road when you spin like Jitters and perform karate acrobatics like Curry in a hurry. Lightwind weapon kites are the Havoc 16M or 14M, 4 struts, no center strut, allows the kite to move fast forward through the wind window and get you upwind easy as long as the board can keep up, lighter structure moves faster in the sky and responds quicker to your bar inputs. Another gem in the board department for the real big guys is the Lowrider family of boards, I teach most lessons on the 146 X 45 and the board comes in 158 and 165 sizes also, talk about crazy big boards but if you want to ride while the boys and girls suck back cervezas and do their nails on the beach, you got to role with the right tools. Check out the eye candy here and watch the LF tech minute vids here:

http://www.liquidforcekites.com/boards-wlf.html

http://www.liquidforcekites.com/boards-lowrider.html
wanderer-rrorc
just discovered the trick of the week videos at kitefilm.com (didnt really look too deep the first time I saw the site)...

http://www.kitefilm.com/eng/weeklytrick.asp

has some good info on transitioning and self-launching...got alot of vids to watch! but the winds up and a new 2M dual line showed up yesterday that needs filled with some summer air!
wanderer-rrorc
well got all my transactions done...and probably NONE of this will be here in time for the weekend trip (orderd it all monday...gotta wait for bank checks to clear..so what can ya do?)

Nobile XTR kiteboard 09 in a 143 flavor..

2008 17M BEST WAROO (used but in great shape..)..figured its a good starter..along with the naish 20m C that I have for land-training/tree-eatin...gotta get good in wind before gettin the 9m...

NPX Immortal Floatation Vest

either a LF waist harness or a Dakine..talked to the guys at MAC kiteboards about my fatness and they suggested something and the price was right..(not cheap...but a recomended harness..cant frickin remember what it was..)

the weekend trip will be right near detroit kiteboarding..so I might swing by and see if theyre doing lessons...just gotta see how the family plans work out..
MikeB
Sunday's looking pretty good. North 16 - So what's up Kyle.....You got the new shop all set up. Where all comeing over on sunday. Haven't been out there yet this year. Is there still a clear spot to launch our kites from? You still rent gear and kite's too right? I might need some small fins for my board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.