Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: central ohio? does anyone here surf Alum creek anymore?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Water
wanderer-rrorc
Im just getting into some of the bigger kites after a wonderfull trip to OBX this year..and after watching the guys windsurf the sound I HAVE to try it!!...

but alas..ohio is a few hours drive from the banks..and surfin the net I saw that a core group gets together in alum creek a few years ago and their site hasnt been updated in 2 years..I've seen the posts here about you INSANE guys that surf thru the chunks of ice in cleveland (my wifes from aurora..and I SWEAR all that snow does something to your mind!!)...

my brother was into powerkiting in LA many years ago...and has some pointers but his skills (read clumsy) left him diapointed in some aspects of the big kites..Im fairly confident in my kiting..but just have to get some bigger kites for the low winds here in ohio.

with that said...Im also not a skinny fella...thats right..the only thing that pushes me away from the table is my belly..(oh..and did I mention we had twins 7 months ago and have done VERY little activity due to them..they have not HELPED the belly)...but Im a 300lb 5'10 (muscular..but fat) dude..so Ima need a big kite and a garage door to get outta the water...

anybody have any interest in trying to teach a newbie some skills? I plan on doing alot more large kiting and some land surfing to get used to the kites draggin me further than my current 1.8 parafoil does in a 30mph wind..(which is alot more than I thought that little girl would do)...
SaulOhio
Yes, its amazing how much power these kites can generate. So be careful. Don't let your extra ballast make you think you are safe from getting lofted or pulled where you don't want to be.

That said, the Central Ohio Windsurfers, also known as the COWs have a Yahoo! group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/cownet/

They have a few kiters among them, including their fearless leader, Steve Burkey.
wanderer-rrorc
QUOTE(SaulOhio @ Jul 25 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Yes, its amazing how much power these kites can generate. So be careful. Don't let your extra ballast make you think you are safe from getting lofted or pulled where you don't want to be.

That said, the Central Ohio Windsurfers, also known as the COWs have a Yahoo! group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/cownet/

They have a few kiters among them, including their fearless leader, Steve Burkey.

awsome!! found ya over there!
Luke88
Ill be In the area come september. Been kiting quite a bit just got back from cabarette if your looking for someone to kite with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.