Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the area/sport
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Water
roserob
so I'm new to the area and my apartment is overlooking the lake. So I can't help but think more and more everyday that I need to be out there. I'm really Into wakeboarding and snowboarding, so I think this is the next logical step. If someone can let me know what would be some good entry level gear (inc. kite size etc.) thatd be great. Also, I'd love to join a group of you out on the water to learn the sport. If anyone has an extra kite/board as well please let me know. Anyway, thanks guys. Lets have some fun out there
EpicKiteMag
My first recommendation is to take a lesson.

A lot of people think that they can easily pick up the sport because they are good at skateboarding, wakeboarding or snowboarding...or whatever sport.
Yes you maybe better skilled than others but I would really take a lesson. What will take you a year to learn on your own an instructor can teach you in one afternoon!

Pick up a trainer kite and start by first learning to fly that! (yeah, i know that sounds crazy that you need to learn how to fly a kite!)
Then give Kyle at Detroit Kiteboarding or Brian at GLK or one of the other shops up near Lake St.Clair a call.

JC
Cruz
Ditto.

Turtle
Welcome to the community and YES be sure to take lessons. We have all been where you are at and can give you the much needed insight to get started the right way. Each riding spot has local rules and hazards, so be sure to talk to others on the beach.

You can go to my sight www.KiteMI.com and look under schools, it will give you all of them in the Great Lakes Area, including Ohio. I am pretty sure most of them will travel to get you set up and trained. A great way to learn is with a camp or weekend trip and most of the shops offer these throughout the year in many locations. Michigan has some real beginner friendly areas unlike anything in Cleveland. I remember a story of a guy from Michigan who visited Cleveland about 4 years ago and got his ass handed to him at the power plant. The South shore of Erie is not forgiving and not for beginners.

I would NOT recommend buying any gear until after your trained. There are many types and styles of gear and everything you need is included in your instruction fee. Be careful of buying gear off ebay or other auction sites. You can easily over pay or get equipment not fit for you because you don't know what to get yet. Buying from your local shop has many benefits when it comes time for service, tuning or upgrading your gear. Not to mention most shops carry multiple brands that will give you the opportunity to try different kite types and styles. Depending on your riding style and where your going to ride it will come into play when you buy gear. There are boards made for flat water and others for waves not to mention beginner friendly boards and ones for advanced riding.

Keep and eye on this Ohio forum for posts when guys are riding. The Michigan crew travels to Toledo and the Ohio/Michigan border regularly to ride Lake Erie, so be sure to enter the forum from the main page www.KiteUSforums.com it will allow you to navigate from Michigan to Ohio along with all the other informational categories we have set up.

Good Luck and keep us posted with your experience at your local riding spots and shops.

John
Jon
I was in the same boat last year, and decided to take a week down in the outer banks of NC. I took a 2-day weekend lesson at KHK and got out again later in the week. I've heard of some shallow places in Lake St. Clair and Conneaut, but I haven't been to either personally. I can't imagine they come close to comparing to the quality of a beginner experience I had down there. You can walk out about a mile and it's all waist to chest deep, with a mostly sandy bottom (with the occasional crab...). There are many opportunities to downwind, and you don't get in trouble like you do in Erie. You can land your kite anywhere on the water and come to shore if you needed to, which is a totally different self rescue experience than on Erie. From there I came up and kited the south shore of Erie, but I must agree with the prevailing opinion that it's not for beginners. That being said, I love the sport and am probably going to buy another kite or two this season.
Cruz
THAT'S GOOD ADVICE. I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A NEWBIE HOW MUCH I RELISHED INPUT FROM OTHER RIDERS. WE CAN ALL RELATE. I WOULD ADD THAT I THINK LSC IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO LEARN FLAT WATER RIDING. MANY OF THE RIDING SPOTS ARE WAIST DEEP. THE BOWL AT METRO, MUSCAMOOT BAY OFF HARSEN'S ISLAND, AND BLUE LAGOON, JUST TO NAME A FEW. THE AVERAGE DEPTH OF THE LAKE IS ONLY 7-FEET, INCLUDING THE SHIPPING CHANNEL. THIS ILLUSTRATES THE FACT THAT THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER SHALLOW AREAS WHICH GO ON FOR MILES. ALSO, LSC IS KNOW FOR A PECULIARLY LIFTY BREED OF WIND. BEST OF LUCK. SEE YOU ON THE WATER.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.