Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kiteboarders and places to fly near Ann Arbor?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Southeast Michigan
johnny_five
I learned to kite with some buddies on Lake Michigan a few years back (maybe 6-8 times) , moved to Ann Arbor a year ago, haven't flown since. Looking for other kiters in the area. Would like to check out local places like Whitmore Lake, maybe in the winter on snowboard if we get more powder.

If you're an experienced kiter, I might be willing to pay for your guidance, kiting tips, letting me tag along -- 'mini-lessons' even if you've never been an instructor before. In the summer it sounds like Lake St. Clair might be the place to go.

Any other worthwhile lakes in Ann Arbor area? - or best to head east to the bigger lakes? Looking forward to some good wind this spring...

Thanks
MikeyB
Hi, this forum is full of Ann Arborites and kiters in SE Michigan and you should get a bunch of replies. For snow kiting Whitmore lake is certainly the easiest, biggest lake to kite. Walled Lake is popular as is the New Hudson garbage dump (an old landfill which is now a park) when there's been a lot of snow.

Check out
http://www.localkitespots.com/kitesurfing/Michigan (water & snow)
http://michigan.kiteus.com/ for water locations.
jitters
did you say "pay". well in that case, call me a tour guide. guys like me and safely just sit around all winter with nothing to do so come on out and pay for gas and we will show you how to avoid trees, wind snobs and scary indians on bikes. this "lesson" also includes common definitions of other local terms such as nature trail, the shack, wlwrjf, safelies three sisters and atlantis, dkb and orks buddies sand bar, orks favorite "break" at kp and the best time to go to harsens.... on the weekend in the middle of july. maybe you will even learn the fine art of getting into it with the old schoolers from ttt. and after its all shaken out you will know what we all have come to know and love.....detroit is cold and the water is foul, but on a good 20plus ne, the waves can be great at ssp with sid and the boys or that on a s,sw,w,nw,n or ne 3 hrs of driving can truly deliver in many locations!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.