Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mbay frozen
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Canada
NickChmielewski
The bay has froze over nicely out to the horizon , probably several inches thick within 100m of shore ......hopefully we get some snow. tongue.gif
Kiteboarder42
QUOTE(NickChmielewski @ Dec 11 2009, 07:31 PM) *
The bay has froze over nicely out to the horizon , probably several inches thick within 100m of shore ......hopefully we get some snow. tongue.gif

sick. hopefully nice and solid soon, as long as it stays cold i guess...
MercyEh
that didn't take long at all. i was just out on the water 2 weeks ago
here is a good pic of the ice on the 12th
NickChmielewski
some ice fishing huts went up today about 500m off shore......they must be confident
concretesurfer
still charging hard out here at Metro...and they say there's nothing in the water.....
tea time tony
QUOTE(NickChmielewski @ Dec 13 2009, 06:22 PM) *
some ice fishing huts went up today about 500m off shore......they must be confident

those guys are nuts they dont know what safe is! i wont be out on any ice until well into jan once their is more than an inch
MercyEh
it also helps that the water is only about 3 feet deep there
dakaunman
Tony could still drownd in that amount of water tongue.gif Let us know when there is snow, I will make the drive.
FellowCountryMan
QUOTE(MercyEh @ Dec 15 2009, 06:43 PM) *
it also helps that the water is only about 3 feet deep there

It's just water!!! I've been through the ice a few times and it's not as bad as it's cracked up to be. Heck the last time I went through was last winter in the Nature Trail by the time I got back to the shack I was all warmed up and rode for another 20 mins.

FYI.... If your snowkiting the Nature Trail and ripping the waist deep powder in the weed beds be sure to make it through because the ice is really thin under the snow.

biggrin.gif
Kiteboarder42
QUOTE(tea time tony @ Dec 15 2009, 12:27 PM) *
those guys are nuts they dont know what safe is! i wont be out on any ice until well into jan once their is more than an inch

it's mbay, redneck central. this march they wouldn't come off the ice even though it was like breaking up and like 40 degrees out...
NickChmielewski
went out on the ice about 100m with a hammer and chisel tonight,
its around 4 inches thick and very stable, didnt hear any stress cracks.......

cold temps and flurries are in the forecast tongue.gif

my dad is working at the bruce nuclear and says there is a ton of snow up that way......im tempted to make the trip this weekend, just for the day if there is some wind....anyone down?
Kiteboarder42
QUOTE(NickChmielewski @ Dec 16 2009, 07:02 PM) *
went out on the ice about 100m with a hammer and chisel tonight,
its around 4 inches thick and very stable, didnt hear any stress cracks.......

cold temps and flurries are in the forecast tongue.gif

my dad is working at the bruce nuclear and says there is a ton of snow up that way......im tempted to make the trip this weekend, just for the day if there is some wind....anyone down?

i might be down nick. supposed to be some northeast ripping through on saturday too...

when were you thinking? like leave early saturday or what?
NickChmielewski
QUOTE(Kiteboarder42 @ Dec 17 2009, 10:11 PM) *
i might be down nick. supposed to be some northeast ripping through on saturday too...

when were you thinking? like leave early saturday or what?

hey dude, sorry i missed ur post......I stayed home anyway...
the good news is the bay is sick......frozen solid....there has been 100's of ice fishers out on atvs and hover crafts over the past few days
there is just barely enough snow to hold an edge...about 2" of powder on slick ice, .....i bet hockey skates would work if you were crazy
i think the mild temps on christmas day will be perfect to make a solid base

wolfie
QUOTE(NickChmielewski @ Dec 22 2009, 08:44 PM) *
there is just barely enough snow to hold an edge...about 2" of powder on slick ice, .....i bet hockey skates would work if you were crazy

Wow, I can't believe it's solid enough!

BTW, a few of us use MagneTraction snowboards on Lake Whitmore and they actually do hold an edge on ice. It's not as fun as riding powder, but it's doable...
MercyEh
has anybody been to the bay the last few days? i think snow is in the forecast.
NickChmielewski
hey mat got ur pm

the bay is frozen ...but the snow has totally blown off....... unless you got something that will edge on ice dont waste your time...

ill post when there is enough snow... im dying for a sesh too.
there has been strong onshore winds all day, some snowbanks are building along the shoreline near the trailer park campground,
and might be rideable soon?

cant wait to throw a rail out there and build a kicker or 2

did some downwinders in a toboggan with my son today with a 1.5m trainer...........toboggan races anyone?
MercyEh
to bad i just gave my trainer away. i guess i should go skate shopping then.
NickChmielewski
found an ok spot to ride at mbay today........along the shore, south of where the flags are.......about 6 inches of crunchy snow..... not very big......50m x 500m......there is a decent snow forecast for tonight...... 5cm possible .......im off tomorrow and will be out there for sure......
MercyEh
let me know if you get anything there. im off to tomorrow
MercyEh
well last night we just got a dusting here in sarnia. how about your way Nick?
NickChmielewski
same thing here........sucks

im still gonna go shred the spot i found yesterday..... tongue.gif
NickChmielewski
heavy snow at the bay tonight...2-3 cm over the past few hrs.....lots more overnight i hope wink.gif
MercyEh
lets hope for a little wind to go with that
NickChmielewski
the bay has about 6 inches of fresh powder on it.......
maybe there will be some wind?

im seeing 9 knts through noon at some wind sites, ill likely pump up something big and wait...

sunday aft is looking really good too

NickChmielewski
QUOTE(NickChmielewski @ Jan 8 2010, 11:30 PM) *
the bay has about 6 inches of fresh powder on it.......
maybe there will be some wind?

im seeing 9 knts through noon at some wind sites, ill likely pump up something big and wait...

sunday aft is looking really good too

zero wind at the bay this morning sad.gif
MercyEh
Got 3 hours in at the bay on sunday. there was a lot of broken, sharp ice under the snow about 1000' out to the NW (island with the tree), it would be best to stay to the north or the south. but other then that it was a great ride on a 14m.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.