Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East side downwinder
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Water
SaulOhio
I had an adventure yesterday. After Tuesday's weak NE at Sims, where I had to walk 1/4 mile back to the car, I decided to just do a downwinder. I locked up my bike at Wildwood Yacht Club with a kite bag of clothes and shoes, drove back up to Sims and launched there.

I wish i had done this before. It was fun being able to just ride, jumping any time I wanted to, not worrying about staying upwind. It picked up strong enough that I could have stayed upwind, even gotten way upwind, but this was more fun. I got to do whatever I wanted, whenever I had the power to get enough air to do it. And I got to show off in front of more people. Some guy working in his garden, kids playing on a swingset in one of the private beach clubs, patients getting some sun and air out behind Euclid Hospital, a couple of Brothers watching me through the window of the retreat house behind Villa Angela/St. Joseph's, and some fishermen on the breakwall of Wildwood Yacht Club.

The wind blew almost untill sunset, and I managed to bike back to Sims just before it got dark.

I feel pleasantly worn out right now.

I'd like to do this again sometime, but with someone else there with me, so I don't need to use my bike.
Jon
I'd be in for that downwinder. I was out at Wildwood/Euclid beach yesterday and had a fantastic outing. I'd be out again today, but some friends of mine are building a giant trebuchet and I must go investigate this. If its still blowing this evening I might go out.

-Jon
Jon
I'd be in for that downwinder. I was out at Wildwood/Euclid beach yesterday and had a fantastic outing. I'd be out again today, but some friends of mine are building a giant trebuchet and I must go investigate this. If its still blowing this evening I might go out.

-Jon
Cruz
Wait really? You have wind in Cleveland yesterday and today?
biohorn
QUOTE(Cruz @ Sep 12 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Wait really? You have wind in Cleveland yesterday and today?

Looks like we had a nice NE'er today. Was blown by my house but had my son's bday party.
Did you guys (local) score a nice session?

It is blowing 12 mph NW at 11:25 p.m. Anyone up for a sesh... laugh.gif

Tomorrow (Sunday) looks pretty sad (what a drag...)

H.
Cruz
At this stage a midnight session sounds great! We haven't had Jack Shit around LSC.

South shore of Erie must benefit more on the Northerly flow with all of the fetch over the big water.

I need to cruise down to Ohio on a North sometime. What's that about a three hour drive? Takes me almost two hours to get to Kettle Point anyway. I love the Blue lagoon for it's proximity to Detroit but it is one gusty, choppy place with plenty of boat traffic on nice days.
biohorn
QUOTE(Cruz @ Sep 13 2009, 09:45 AM) *
At this stage a midnight session sounds great! We haven't had Jack Shit around LSC.

South shore of Erie must benefit more on the Northerly flow with all of the fetch over the big water.

I need to cruise down to Ohio on a North sometime. What's that about a three hour drive? Takes me almost two hours to get to Kettle Point anyway. I love the Blue lagoon for it's proximity to Detroit but it is one gusty, choppy place with plenty of boat traffic on nice days.

Had a nice 5+ hour 13M/big board sesh at conneaut. Great steady wind up to 18 kts.
Cruz
Unreal.
joel
QUOTE(Jon @ Sep 12 2009, 01:43 PM) *

-Jon

Can you post some pics of the giant trebuchet?
Jon
QUOTE(joel @ Sep 14 2009, 08:51 AM) *
Can you post some pics of the giant trebuchet?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of projectiles that aren't on fire... so here's this one. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.