Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tried to help a rider and got it taken the wrong way!?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Boxing Ring
tea time tony
So friday i finally figured out my kite wasn't broken while i was at dodge park on cass lk and decided to do some riding. when i was sitting talking to a newer rider i had not met i was noticing an older man out riding on a c kite and doing everything wrong. he really just looked like he had never been properly shown any safety and or how to fly/ride a c kite. a few windsurfurs had come in and i had told them to be a little cautious around this rider who i was unsure of, they all were vary glad i had told them because before i arrived they were riding vary close to him. when he finally came in i introduced myself to him and he told me his name was smitty. I tried to get some background information on his riding but he was vary reluctant to say. After that i had asked him why he uses a leash on his board and i asked if he knew the dangers of it right away his attitude changed a bit. he did not really know i was a kiter and trying to help. i let him know that leashes were vary unsafe and could cause some serious injuries but he began to become short tempered with me. i had also asked him if he had ever been shown how to properly fly c kites and he right away became frustrated with me. after a while i had just given up on this rider and told him the only reason i said anything is to try and keep everyone safe because i know if something goes wrong and word gets around, their is a possibility of our sport being ban from an area and that is the last thing i want. he ended up packing up vary quickly and was being vary rude saying every time i walked near him "now be careful we don't want you to get hurt!".

Does anyone know this rider?

ever had the same problem with a rider before?

I have never encountered another kiteboarder who was so reluctant to get some knowledge about his/her sport that could help them in the future. it kind of made my day become a bit off to tell ya the truth. im really hoping i do not run into this rider again but i really do hope he somehow acquires the knowledge he needs to be a little safer and make the sport better for everyone. I feel that whether or not we would like to be we are all ambassadors of our sport. every time someone sees us ride they will probably interpret one of 2 things 1 that looks like an amazing sport! and they would love to try it or 2 that looks extremely dangerous/that person has no control/they are crazy. Being safe always helps to keep people looking at it from the first point of vew and hopefully we can keep it this way. wink.gif
FellowCountryMan
Smitty has been kiting year round for a few years now and has had his fair share of lessons. I'll gladly kite with him anyday but it does sound like he had a bad day.
jitters
dang the kite police! they wont even let us wear leashes on our boards anymore. next thing thell be telling us is we have to have bindings on our boards cuz otherwize we might not b able to stand up. whats this world coming too!! oh by the way tomarrow im at lsp with 20 2 30 sw and 80 deg. hate to rub it in!!!!!!!!!!
Saftey Rick
Thats Wind Wanken bullshit. Smitty Is one of the best kite Budd's that i have. I enjoy talking with him on the beach and riding with him. I have never seen him even get mad. This kind of shit is what causes problems MYOB unless its effecting you personally. Is that board leash going to hurt you ??? I would like to see you doing what he does when your his age. I know I won't be. I sure hope he doesn't see your post. I'm sure he would have no problem whippen you. He lives on that lake and he has every right to be there. Think about it before you jump in peoples shit and discourage, fun loving people,minding their own business from the sport.

I would suspect even if Rubin Lenten was out their riding people watching would be more impressed with Smitty. Its more of an accomplishment.

Do you have something against C kites???? Have you been riding long enough to know the difference. It sounds like you don't even know if your kite is broken or not ???

Your lucky you didn't get arrested for spanken the monkey in public and spraying jizz on everybody. Making the situation sticky
Cruz
Sounds like quite a misunderstanding. Live and learn. Maybe just yank this thread?
mnpaslay
I am also "pro smitty"....

I have frequently wished I can do what he does at his age...
joel
QUOTE(Cruz @ Aug 24 2009, 10:29 PM) *
Maybe just yank this thread?

Why yank the thread? Smitty is the man. Tony's foot is in his mouth.

I'd get short tempered as well if someone with less experience came to my backyard and talked shit to me and about me to my windsurfing buddies.
Cruz
True. True. No argument there. It just seemed to be headed in the wrong direction. I guess that is what the boxing ring is for.
KyleK
I think Tony did the right thing. He was uncomfortable with what he saw going on with a kiter he didnt recognize as a local and communicated it to the kiter, Motor City Smitty.

Smitty did the right thing by basically telling TT to 'go fly a kite' cuz i know my program son! and then burning rubber out of there.

speaking up, as long as in a respectful manner, should always be acceptable at the kite beach. keep it safe and accessible bro brahs.

good discussion.
Saftey Rick
QUOTE(KyleK @ Aug 25 2009, 09:51 PM) *
I think Tony did the right thing. He was uncomfortable with what he saw going on with a kiter he didnt recognize as a local and communicated it to the kiter, Motor City Smitty.

Smitty did the right thing by basically telling TT to 'go fly a kite' cuz i know my program son! and then burning rubber out of there.

speaking up, as long as in a respectful manner, should always be acceptable at the kite beach. keep it safe and accessible bro brahs.

good discussion.

I do agree with the respectful mannor. One on one and only that person and you to discuss it and only if the person is doing something thats going to harm someone other than himself. It doesn't sound like this is the case. Only Wind Wanken. I sure the hell do not think it should show up on a public forum to bash the dude. That doesn't do any good just starts conflict.
tea time tony
QUOTE(Saftey Rick @ Aug 24 2009, 08:11 PM) *
I would like to see you doing what he does when your his age. I know I won't be. I sure hope he doesn't see your post. I'm sure he would have no problem whippen you. He lives on that lake and he has every right to be there.

Rick you will prob have killed yourself by then for being the first to attempt a loop over the point and getting a face first meeting with the light house haha

he does not live on cass lk he lives in novi area i think he said? and this is the first time after riding cass for about a year now that i have ever seen him there.

and the reason i wanted to say anything in the first place is because he came vary close to the windsurfers quite a few times.

Kyle- thanks man thats what i was trying to do

Guys as a final word from me i was only posting on here to share the experience and try to see what this guy was about i guess he was just having a bad day and i got on the wrong side.

no need for bashing anyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.