Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cedar/Linden: Anti-wind?
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Canada
Brandon
Hello Ontario riders, today for the WSW forecast I decided to check out Linden Beach (found on kitebeaches.com) Drove all the way in from the states and surprised to find no wind at all. I even walked all the way out to the sandbar, nothing. I had to hot launch and the kite immediately fell out of the sky so it wasn't dome effect. Met a guy at Cedar who says he's been skunked there all 4 times he's been. All the buoys around it reported solid wind all day. What gives?
tingrin
QUOTE(Brandon @ Aug 9 2009, 08:00 PM) *
Hello Ontario riders, today for the WSW forecast I decided to check out Linden Beach (found on kitebeaches.com) Drove all the way in from the states and surprised to find no wind at all. I even walked all the way out to the sandbar, nothing. I had to hot launch and the kite immediately fell out of the sky so it wasn't dome effect. Met a guy at Cedar who says he's been skunked there all 4 times he's been. All the buoys around it reported solid wind all day. What gives?

That totally sucks. I have had the same experience many times as well with Linden and Cedar Beach. Usually this is a common phenomena in the spring and early summer with the Cold water of lake erie pushing the warm wind too high. Usually by this time the year it is not the case as the water has warmed up and the difference in air and water temperature is not as great. But I guess this has not been a usual year for water temps etc. Usually late summer and fall are good to go.
Thanks for the update on the location though as I was considering Cedar beach as well this time of year.

Paul
notyou
I was kiting from 5-7 tonight @ my cottage, 1/2 mile away from Cedar...No problemo.
Maybe, try Mbay.

QUOTE(tingrin @ Aug 9 2009, 09:37 PM) *
That totally sucks. I have had the same experience many times as well with Linden and Cedar Beach. Usually this is a common phenomena in the spring and early summer with the Cold water of lake erie pushing the warm wind too high. Usually by this time the year it is not the case as the water has warmed up and the difference in air and water temperature is not as great. But I guess this has not been a usual year for water temps etc. Usually late summer and fall are good to go.
Thanks for the update on the location though as I was considering Cedar beach as well this time of year.

Paul

Brandon
Ha Ha, maybe it was just me, then. I packed up and left at about 4:30, it did seem like it was picking up. Thermal maybe? Who knows. Just curious. Great spot though, I'd love to come back if I had the courage!

Thanks for the info. Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.