Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Huron Ray - Heart Attack
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Water
joel
Late yesterday afternoon Ray from Huron suffered a heart attack while kiting at the sandbar.

He came in with chest pains and we were able to dispatch the coast guard and transfer him to their care. After they got him back to the coast guard station he was Life Flighted to a hospital in Toledo where they performed emergency heart surgery.

Thankfully, it was successful. That is all the info I have at this time. According to Luke, he will be in the hospital for a bit of time to be monitored.

We will try to get the hospital address for anyone who would like to send get well wishes his way.

Ray is a great guy and a true inspiration. We can all hope we have the spirit and body to charge the way he does at age 69. He was tearing it up launching 15 foot jumps right before this happened!

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,

Joel
SaulOhio
Sopme would say that a 69 year old man shouldn't have been out kitesurfing, that he was asking for a heart attack. I say he was doing something he loves. I doubt he regrets it.

I don't know if I ever met him, but I still wish him the best, that he recovers well enough to get out there and tear it up again just as well as he used to.
Luke War
I talked to Ray this afternoon and he is recovering well. They had a surgical team waiting for him when the helicopter landed at St. Vincent's Memorial Hospital in Toledo and they put a new stint in. He sounded good on the phone and seems like he's in good spirits but he'll be stuck in there for 3 or 4 more days and then a number of weeks going through cardio rehab, so needless to say his riding season up here in Ohio is done for.

According to Ray one of the doctors said that the activities he was doing aren't necessarily what caused the blockage, he could have been sitting on the couch and had it happen. That said I'm sure we will probably all see him out on the water again next year.

If anyone would like to send him a get well card or some flowers, im sure he would REALLY appreciate those tongue.gif , I have his home mailing address. Just send me a private message and I'd be happy to give it to you. Im sure he'd appreciate just knowing that we're out here pulling for him. Otherwise keep the guy in your thoughts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.