Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what size kite for beginner
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Southeast Michigan
edt
my bro on vacation taught me the first few lessons for kiting, and now I want to buy a kite & board to learn more. He said ask around to find out what size to buy. What is the wind like in st claire (I would be going to harsens island as a beginner)? i want to get just one kite, if possible. 5"10' 200 pounds. is 14 meters right for the wind there for someone my size?

also do many people kite at harsens right now?
KyleK
Welcome edt.

14 sounds about right for you for a one kite quiver.

if you are serious about kiteboarding and are going to continue living in the midwest you will most likely want a 16 as your biggest kite - just an observation from the beach, weve got a lot of 200 pound guys and most spend lots of time on 16s. then maybe think about starting with a 12 which you will get lots of use out of, is more forgiving as a learning kiteboarder, and most useful in the rest of the world (trips to OBX or the carribean, spring and fall conditions).

people do kite Harsens now but on a limited basis, read more here:

http://detroitkiteboarding.com/index.php/H...d-the-Moot.html

see you on the water!
edt
QUOTE(KyleK @ Jul 21 2009, 12:17 PM) *
Welcome edt.

people do kite Harsens now but on a limited basis, read more here:

http://detroitkiteboarding.com/index.php/H...d-the-Moot.html

see you on the water!

i heard that people still make the trip, they just park a mile or so from that circle and walk or bicycle the rest of the way. thanks for the advice.
Cruz
I have been there on weekdays when it was real windy within the past two months and had the place all to myself. Locals waved at me. One or two boats in the water. Even my two dogs running around off leash. No trouble at all.

Seems to be worth avoiding at all costs sometimes. Like sunny weekend afternoons obviously.

purewind07
1 Kite is not gonna be enough for a beginner.
14 and 10 meter is perfect for beginners.
for the lightwind days take the 14 out.
for the good wind days take the 10 out.
X.men
I ususally read post rather than writting.
But, Purewind come on, Did you read the guy Post. He is 200 pounds. How do you know about good size kite when you barely weigth 130 Lb.
You are the only guy, I have seen able to ride on a 13 m with 9 knots.

EDT welcome,
As Kyle wrote, you will use mostly 16m and 12 m with your weight.
Cruz
As a big fella I have to tell you that you will never regret having a 16/12m combo, not on the lakes anyways. I am a plus-size kiter at 100 kilos (sounds so much better than 220lbs) and I have gotten used to rigging a size bigger than everyone else. I can't tell you the number of times I went out underpowered before I felt comfortable with that. When everyone else is rigging smaller than you and somebody looks at you on their way out like you are crazy you inevitably second guess yourself. Then you go in the water with a kite that is too small and slodge around for a while before you grow some balls.

Remember your board has a lot to do with it. By switching the size of your board you effectively extend the range of your kite in a big way.
edt
QUOTE(Cruz @ Jul 22 2009, 05:34 PM) *
As a big fella I have to tell you that you will never regret having a 16/12m combo, not on the lakes anyways. I am a plus-size kiter at 100 kilos (sounds so much better than 220lbs) and I have gotten used to rigging a size bigger than everyone else. I can't tell you the number of times I went out underpowered before I felt comfortable with that. When everyone else is rigging smaller than you and somebody looks at you on their way out like you are crazy you inevitably second guess yourself. Then you go in the water with a kite that is too small and slodge around for a while before you grow some balls.

Remember your board has a lot to do with it. By switching the size of your board you effectively extend the range of your kite in a big way.

Thanks. Now all that is left is to find the money for my kite . . . .
GRJosh
All this input is great...however one big thing comes into play. Experience. As you gain more experience as a rider you will feel much more comfortable with a larger kite that pulls much harder, and also be able to work a smaller kite to generate more energy. Im 230 lbs and 6'6" and let me tell you, starting out was rough for me...considering I had a 12m to start with. However, that kite was not bad even with me being so big. It forced me to learn kite control and how to derive the most energy out of my kite. When you gain more ability to control of your kite and boardwork, then I would suggest moving up to something like a 16m...this will give you much more pull and rocket you upwind...but you still have to be able to control that power.

My suggestion is to start with a 12m...at 200lbs its not a bad kite to start with, you would be suprised the power you can derive from some of the newer and more efficient kites on the market now. With that you will learn very good kite skills. Then add a 16m to your kite quiver, remember, you dont want to start with something that big and not be able to control it effectively--thats when kitmares happen.

After you begin to gain comfort with those two kites you will begin to notice your range of rideable wind will grow a great deal. You will learn how to trim, depower, and work one kite to suit a very large wind range. I ride a 14m 2009 Nemesis for wind ranges from 12mph-20+mph wind speeds.

Finally...boardwork!!! DO NOT use a small fast board....being a big guy and speaking from personal experience, starting with a nice sized board that will plane you out easily and get you on top of the water fast is key to building confidence in riding, staying upwind, and not to mention staying on top of the water. Good luck!
Cruz
QUOTE(GRJosh @ Jul 24 2009, 10:02 AM) *
All this input is great...however one big thing comes into play. Experience. As you gain more experience as a rider you will feel much more comfortable with a larger kite that pulls much harder, and also be able to work a smaller kite to generate more energy. Im 230 lbs and 6'6" and let me tell you, starting out was rough for me...considering I had a 12m to start with. However, that kite was not bad even with me being so big. It forced me to learn kite control and how to derive the most energy out of my kite. When you gain more ability to control of your kite and boardwork, then I would suggest moving up to something like a 16m...this will give you much more pull and rocket you upwind...but you still have to be able to control that power.

My suggestion is to start with a 12m...at 200lbs its not a bad kite to start with, you would be suprised the power you can derive from some of the newer and more efficient kites on the market now. With that you will learn very good kite skills. Then add a 16m to your kite quiver, remember, you dont want to start with something that big and not be able to control it effectively--thats when kitmares happen.

After you begin to gain comfort with those two kites you will begin to notice your range of rideable wind will grow a great deal. You will learn how to trim, depower, and work one kite to suit a very large wind range. I ride a 14m 2009 Nemesis for wind ranges from 12mph-20+mph wind speeds.

Finally...boardwork!!! DO NOT use a small fast board....being a big guy and speaking from personal experience, starting with a nice sized board that will plane you out easily and get you on top of the water fast is key to building confidence in riding, staying upwind, and not to mention staying on top of the water. Good luck!

Very true on all points. My first board was too small for a beginner and it stalled my progression severely.
tea time tony
QUOTE(GRJosh @ Jul 24 2009, 10:02 AM) *

ok for starters if you ever meet josh he will not be this nice unless your doing one of his bribes for some free beer! haha

jk josh

if your down in the Detroit area i strongly recommend that you come up to tawas MI to learn. Tawas almost always has wind and excellent conditions to learn and progress in. their is a crew of kiteboarders that drives up on the weekends and we all always welcome new comers to the tawas "family"! if you are interested check out the weekends in tawas group on facebook or get in contact with jontan that way you can get any info you need.
jitters
YER ALL A BUNCH OF LIGHT WEIGHTS!! 6.6 250 BABY! BUT i DO AGREE WITH THE CHICKEN MAN WITH THE 10 14 COMBO. 10 WILL B THE SMALLEST YOU NEED 95% OF TIME AND A BIG BOARD AND THE 14 WILL BE ENOUPH ON THE WEAK SIDE. TRUST A GUY THAT HAS OWNED ABOUT EVERYTHING EXEPT FOR BRARS SECRET CURRY RECIPE! CANT WAIT FOR THE RAIL JAM!!!! HOPING FOR SOME FREE SHWAG AND DKB STICKERS
Cruz
250 and only a 14M? Wow! Maybe it depends on the model. 14M what? I have to say I would think you could get at least SOME use out of a 16M. I remember a dude who used to come to Metro with a 25M monster and inflate it with an electric pump. It had a massive leading edge diameter. Whoa!

I try to float the smallest kite possible but I am much happier overpowered than underpowered. What size board with the 14....what is your low end wind range? I can cruise in 8- 10 knots with the 148 x 52 underground and a 16M rebel. I usually break out the 12M above 15 knots but the 16M on my 129 board in high winds can really loft some jumps. Anyways, I guess everyone has there own preference.
edt
guys just to let you know, I got myself an ozone 14m with a liquid force board. You might see me out there trying to not to drown at metro

--- Eric
wolfie
QUOTE(edt @ May 24 2010, 02:41 PM) *
guys just to let you know, I got myself an ozone 14m with a liquid force board. You might see me out there trying to not to drown at metro

--- Eric

Did you get the Catalyst?
edt
QUOTE(wolfie @ Jun 2 2010, 08:01 AM) *
Did you get the Catalyst?

yes that's me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.