Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M-Bay Spring Sessions
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteMI & Ontario Canada Forum > Canada
jmguillemette
Anyone been on M-bay in the recent weeks ?
Im trying to plan out my first outing and wanted to see what current water temps were like.

tea time tony
QUOTE(jmguillemette @ Mar 31 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Anyone been on M-bay in the recent weeks ?
Im trying to plan out my first outing and wanted to see what current water temps were like.

water temps.... lets see cold as $hit i hope you have a nice warm wetsuit
jmguillemette
QUOTE(tea time tony @ Mar 31 2009, 05:06 PM) *
water temps.... lets see cold as $hit i hope you have a nice warm wetsuit

Sadly the warmest i have is a 4:3 semi dry long suit. Which may not be warm enough from the sounds of things... well see..
tea time tony
QUOTE(jmguillemette @ Mar 31 2009, 05:02 PM) *
Sadly the warmest i have is a 4:3 semi dry long suit. Which may not be warm enough from the sounds of things... well see..

thats what i go out in but i always go by the 90 degree rule you add the water temp + the air temp and if you get 90 you should be ok but your still going to get cold as hell make sure you have booties and a hood if you can get one. i dont like gloves they take away the feel in the bar but so does the numbing sensation haha. if your going to go out this erly it has to be something you really want to do get yourself amped up ahead of time otherwise your going to get out in the water and just say fuck it.

oh and that rule is still under what the majority of guys do most people stay in unless it comes out to be 100. right now ive only been going out on days that it is at least in the high 40s but getting dipped under in that is not much fun at all.

just wondering, how long have you been kiting? & where do you have experience at?
jmguillemette
Overall im still relatively green. I only picked up the sport last summer. Was out on the water up until the 2nd week of Oct.. Took lessons the whole time.

Over the winter I have been aquiring gear. Some buds of mine are also into land kiting / snow kiting. So together we have been doing that at least once a week.
But I'm just stoked to get back in the water. It's the anticipation vs reality that been killing me. When my lessons had ended last Oct... i was just getting down my water starts. Since then i took a trip down to florida and spent some time at a cable park working on my riding skills. I feel pretty comfortable that i should be able to put it all together now.. but i expect to spend some time in the water my first few sessions out.

Im located in London ontario. The weather here has been 14 degrees C. one day and -1 the next.. real yo yo.. but traditionally april is the start of warmer weather and come may things should be wayyyy better. So I'm at that lovely point of inexperience trying to figure out exactly how early i can get out on the water safely...

To toss in another variable which body of water is definitely a factor, St Clair being the shallowest is most likely to warm up first. Erie and huron will take a lot more time.

So overall consider me the ambitious new comer.. who will likely ask a lot of newb questions.. but hey.. i would rather ask then find out the hard way smile.gif

tea time tony
QUOTE(jmguillemette @ Mar 31 2009, 11:02 PM) *
Overall im still relatively green. I only picked up the sport last summer. Was out on the water up until the 2nd week of Oct.. Took lessons the whole time.

Over the winter I have been aquiring gear. Some buds of mine are also into land kiting / snow kiting. So together we have been doing that at least once a week.
But I'm just stoked to get back in the water. It's the anticipation vs reality that been killing me. When my lessons had ended last Oct... i was just getting down my water starts. Since then i took a trip down to florida and spent some time at a cable park working on my riding skills. I feel pretty comfortable that i should be able to put it all together now.. but i expect to spend some time in the water my first few sessions out.

Im located in London ontario. The weather here has been 14 degrees C. one day and -1 the next.. real yo yo.. but traditionally april is the start of warmer weather and come may things should be wayyyy better. So I'm at that lovely point of inexperience trying to figure out exactly how early i can get out on the water safely...

To toss in another variable which body of water is definitely a factor, St Clair being the shallowest is most likely to warm up first. Erie and huron will take a lot more time.

So overall consider me the ambitious new comer.. who will likely ask a lot of newb questions.. but hey.. i would rather ask then find out the hard way smile.gif

your better off asking the questions. im fairly new to the sport too i got started last fall but i was out kiting every chance i could get my last session on the water last year was me on the water with snow coming down everywhere. Ive been out on the water probably about 5 times so far since the ice broke up you just have to wait for those warm days and if you expect to be in the water a lot i would really try to stick in a vary shallow area especialy if you are on your own. ive only had one scare with getting dunked in the cold water where i couldn't touch and i couldn't get the kite to relaunch for 10-15 min its not to fun. good luck on the first sessions of the year thou man have a good time.
airforce86
jmguillemette I'll be a Mitchells bay every weekend this summer. Let me know if you want any pointers or just someone to help you out and to ride with. I currently live in Mississauga but will be teaching a substantial amount with Tim this summer. Let me know bro

Mbay is rideable on a good west with a nice warm day.

Curt
curt.laurie@gmail.com
send me a message some time.
jmguillemette
QUOTE(airforce86 @ Apr 1 2009, 09:32 AM) *
jmguillemette I'll be a Mitchells bay every weekend this summer. Let me know if you want any pointers or just someone to help you out and to ride with. I currently live in Mississauga but will be teaching a substantial amount with Tim this summer. Let me know bro

Mbay is rideable on a good west with a nice warm day.

Curt
curt.laurie@gmail.com
send me a message some time.

Lol.. you know me curt!... im one of Tims students from last fall. i think you were with my on my very first lesson.. but not the other times.. tongue.gif

Definately be catching you guys at M-bay a fair bit this year.. i plan on going as often as i can..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.