Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kite size
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteOH Ohio Forum > Open Discussion
aaronm111
Im new to kiting and have an opportunity to grab some gear for cheap but was wondering what size kites are most useful in Ohio. Guessing 9 and 12?
SaulOhio
QUOTE(aaronm111 @ Aug 24 2008, 04:29 AM) *
Im new to kiting and have an opportunity to grab some gear for cheap but was wondering what size kites are most useful in Ohio. Guessing 9 and 12?

I use my 16 most often. I also have an 8 and 12, all three are bow kites.
Joe G
Kite size is mostly wind speed dependant, but also relates to your weight. I am only 155 lbs and can get away with my 12M bow kite most of the time. Bow style kites also have a broader wind range then C kites.

Another consideration if you are new to kiting is familiarity with the safety system on the kite. I would recommend taking a lesson first, before buying any gear. Then when you buy your first kite, to get the same brand that you learned on. Although most kites use similar safety systems, I think it is a good idea to start with the same one you learned on. Then as you get better and can appreciate the differences between manufacturers, talk to others on the beach about their kites and see what works best for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.