Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie needs some rigging help
Kite U.S. Forums > KiteNV Nevada Forum > Open Discussion
wakeboardsam
hey everyone. i just purchased a kite and control bar... and i was wondering if there was any chance that someone in vegas would be willing to give me alittle begginer lesson on rigging and to let me know if i even have everything i need to get started.

i know what your going to say... i need to take lessons... simple answer, i'm not going to california to get a lesson. especially if i could find someone in town that would let me check out thier set up or something so i can get the jist of it all.

any help at all would be great. i ultimately would like to meet up with someone at a park or somthing in vegas on a non windy day for an hour or so to see what's up.

thanks to you all, sam.
MikeB
Hi Sam, Guess your hooking up with surfer44. Fear is a good thing. Can-not stress enough how dangerous this sport can be. Not only to your self but to others. I don't have many contacts yet but there's alot of kiters that regular Lake Mohave. There's usually a full beach of people there to, that don't know they could be hurt. It's up to us kiters to stick together and help each other out, to keep this sport safe. If your not aware, There have been problems and kiteing bans all over the world. There are people that give lessons around here in Vegas.

I can help set you up with the basic's. Please just don't go flying that 21m Best yet. That's a monster of a kite that is for Light Winds, probably 10 to 16 knots, depending on rider weight board size and skills. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the wind range.

I'd be happy to help you out. Your not gonna have very much fun until you understand everything you need to know how to fly a kite and what conditions are safe for different size kites. A trainer kite around 1,2, or 3meters should do the trick. 3m is pretty good size to get the idea of how the kite creates power. I started with 10kt wind then 15kt then 20kts wind. Each time I flew the kite in a higher wind it was scary. Obstacles downwind, Gusting wind are all things to be aware of. Here's a clip of someone flying a 3m kite in high winds. Look's like the kite flew down through the power on accident.

I can't figure out why he keeps spinning the bar unless he didn't check over his lines before he launch'ed and somethings wrong. Might of been skilled enough to fly his 3m in 40knt winds but its the gusting 15kts over the wind that was killing him. Conditions were terrible.

I'm not trying to scare you away, It's a healthy fear, I still get butterflies in my stomach while setting up to launch when the wind's crankin. It's a time to pay attention to what your doing cause it can turn into a trip to the hospital for you or others if your careless. Then a ban on kiteing.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody know's it's dangerous except us kiters.

Well, are you ready to start your training? LOL

Maybe I'll see you and Neil Friday at the park. Desert Breeze park, I heard is a good place to fly.
Turtle
Mike, Nice Video!

Sam, good luck without lessons!

Hey what happens if I launch this 3M in offshore winds and get dragged out to sea?
Hint - Your instructor would have covered this, but you decided not to take a lesson! Sam let us know the answer to that one.

Hospital bills after you rack yourself and/or a law suit from the innocent person on the beach you injure will cost you a butt load more than a couple lessons. Lessons don't teach you to fly a kite, you do that on your own time.

This is what lessons teach you!
Local Rules & Regulations - So you don't lose one of our spots to ride.
Safety - What to do and what not to do! This is to avoid hurting beach goers & yourself.
Wind Direction - What directions to ride certain locations and why (OFFSHORE!).
Launch & Land - Most bad accidents happen when launching & landing.
Gear - Different types of gear, which are best for your riding areas and size.
Rigging - How to rig a kite & explanations on what happens of the kite is set up wrong.

Sam, if you still don't think lessons are a good idea, search the internet on Kitemare and see what you find.

Hope you stay safe!

John
Surfer44
QUOTE(wakeboardsam @ Aug 12 2008, 07:58 PM) *
hey everyone. i just purchased a kite and control bar... and i was wondering if there was any chance that someone in vegas would be willing to give me alittle begginer lesson on rigging and to let me know if i even have everything i need to get started.

i know what your going to say... i need to take lessons... simple answer, i'm not going to california to get a lesson. especially if i could find someone in town that would let me check out thier set up or something so i can get the jist of it all.

any help at all would be great. i ultimately would like to meet up with someone at a park or somthing in vegas on a non windy day for an hour or so to see what's up.

thanks to you all, sam.

Sam, Mike and I will get with you tomorrow and give you some help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.