Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kite Derby 2008 in Traverse City
Kite U.S. Forums > Industry Resources & Information > Events, Group Trips & Camps > Events
tckiter
Grand Bay Kite is proud to announce the 3rd annual Kite Derby. The event will be held again this year on President's day weekend, February 16, 17, 18 The Kite Derby is a growing event and this year we are hoping it will be better then ever. More information will come as we get closer to the event as far as location and directions. I will be posting here as we make updates to the event.

Brian
Grand Bay Kite rolleyes.gif

www.kitederby.com is not up and running yet for this season but will have all of the event information soon.
Turtle
Sweet!! Brian, glad to see the tradition continues for a 3rd year.

For those of you who have not made it to Traverse City for the Kite Derby, you are missing a great Snow Kiting Event. The last two years were on Lake Leelanau with epic conditions. The East Side Posse usually rents a large house that sleeps 14-20 and it is one great time.

Let it SNOW! rolleyes.gif

John
tckiter
Just want to get an idea of how many people would be interested in on location housing for the event. I know of 3-4 places there that can sleep about 30 people if there are people interested please post up here. We will probly just make reservations but it would be nice to know how many places are needed.

Thanks,

Brian
Grand Bay Kite
Turtle
Count me in for (1) house that sleeps 4-10 and I can put down my deposit now. My son is off of school that week so the whole Fam will be with me (3). I try and keep most of my East Side friends away from small children, but I might have room for a couple extra. I am pretty sure the East Side Posse will take 2 houses, one for my fam and the other for the rest.

I will see everyone this weekend in Oscoda (KiteMare) and get some definite answers, but I want to book mine first to get the sweetest accommodations.

John
Turtle
Here is an archive link of the pictures from past Kite Derby's. Our pad at the 1st Derby will be hard to beat!

http://www.amswebonline.com/lscnphotos2/ca....php?cat_id=178

John
tckiter
Nah I think i have it beat smile.gif with a 4500sf house that sleeps 16-18 people smile.gif

should work out to about 130-140 dollars per person for the weekend so it will cost a bit more then some of the places but the house is insane smile.gif

i will be looking into more places when i have more details i will let everyone know
Turtle
Dave Clark (DC from TC) has updated the 2008 Kite Derby website with registration and details.

http://www.tckitederby.com/

John
Turtle
OK, the WakeKite will be making an appearance for the no wind activities at the Kite Derby. Not that we have ever had NO WIND, but I will bring it.

John
concretesurfer
Hey Guys:

Check out this house I found for rent on craigslist. It sleeps 10 (I presume), and it's right on the Lk. Leelenau lakeshore preaty close to last year's event site. I will ask about the price for just the weekend and post back if anyone is interested.

Kite Derby!

Vlad
D_Clark
vlad send me a link to the house and I'll tell you how close it will be to the event.

- DC
Turtle
I was hoping to head up to the Kite Derby Wed after work if if I could get a ride. The fam is coming up Saturday Morning and I don't want to have 2 cars.

I would pitch in for the house for as many days as I stay in it including Friday night. Saturday night the fam and I have a place at the Grand Traverse Resort, there is a ton of things going on for kids there.

Keep me posted, I would also pitch in on a Snowmobile rental with a group just in case there is no wind. Or we need to commute from the house to the event site.

John
Tkettlepoint
DC
hi I am coming with some eclipse kite for demoing... I just booked a room at the Americinn can you email me directions from the hotel to the lake were the event is going to be at.

Bringing some nanos and thrusters for sure and maybe some 08 skywalker kite boards just for people to check out the new gear.

thanks
Terrie
Eclipse & Skywalker Rep
concretesurfer
Dave/ all, the house turns out to be only for summer rental sad.gif .

Vlad
D_Clark
QUOTE(concretesurfer @ Jan 24 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Dave/ all, the house turns out to be only for summer rental sad.gif .

Yeah thats the problem, there are many rentals in the area but very few are open in the winter. I would just recommend going with a cheap hotel room. It will cost less money and you'll get working heat and maybe a free breakfast. The AmericInn got good reviews. The local Travel lodge has a very low rate on the sign too. You should be able to find a room for less than $75 a night and maybe less than $50.

SaulOhio
Anyone still have room for one more in their accommodations? I'm planning on being there all three days.
Turtle
I found a ride with Mark and we should arrive in TC around 2:30pm. I figure this will give us time to get some snow kiting in if its windy, but if not score a twilight downhill snowboarding session (or both). I was thinking of staying at Crystal Mountain or Homestead Ski Lodge Thursday and/or Friday Night checking out Saturday morning. I have reservations with the Family for Saturday night, so I am out. I see no bad days if we stay right at a lodge.

The drive would be about 45 min from the Ski Lodge to the event site, which I don't think is to bad. Night life at the resort should be pretty good and no need to drink and drive around. You don't have to include lift tickets with your room and I think lodging starts at $100 a night. If we get a bigger room or chalet we can just have a party their.

Thoughts?
Turtle
Check this thread for accommodations and party planning

http://www.kiteus.com/forums/index.php?sho...amp;#entry42297

John
Turtle
I just uploaded my 2008 Kite Derby pictures to our Photo Gallery and here is the link.

http://www.kiteus.com/forums/index.php?aut...q=sc&cat=11

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.