I just got back from the Industry trade show in Texas where all the major manufacturers were on hand to display their 2005 products to retailers.

Overwhelmingly, the talk of the show was the fifth line system. After a few days of demo, it became evident that this the way of the future. The companies making these fifth line systems will be offering refit kits for your current bar system as long as your kite is equipped with a bump leash loop. Easy, safe and controlled relaunching coupled with the safest and most failsafe spinning leash systems to date will make this a must for all riders. This is the single most important change you can make to improve the performance of your old kite and insure yourself with a higher level of safety.

It only took a couple of tries to master the system, but I had a lot of questions before I tried it, the best thing to do is to contact your local retailer and ask them about any details or concerns you have.

For those of you that plan of doing winter travel, I suggest looking into retro fitting your systems now and hopefully getting it mastered in some warm waters. For riders interested in snowkiteboarding, the fifth line will offer the most ease in launching, relaunching and the safest way to depower and land your kite after your session especially if you are riding alone.

I shot this video of Detroit Kiteboarding's Kyle Krawiec, relaunching his kite at metro beach this summer using the fifth element, a fifth line system made by North. What might go unnoticed while watching this video is that the rider can relaunch the kite without getting out of the straps. and there is not jolt or downward pull of the kite when the kite relaunches off the water.

http://www.learntokite.com/5thElement.WMV

If you have any questions or concerns about the use of this system that I can answer for you, please feel free to contact me directly or visit your local shop. Ride safe.

Joe Bidawid
248-227-0670