Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waterproof GPS for Kiteboarding
Kite U.S. Forums > Industry Resources & Information > Resources > Knowledge Center
Turtle_merged
Well, I must have been good all year because Santa brought me a Waterproof Garmin Foretrex 201 GPS for Xmas. There is a good write up about this unit in the KiteWorld #24 Issue I received in Nov/Dec, 2006 on page 102. Santa paid $167.89 from www.BackCountry.com which included shipping & tax. I thought this was pretty reasonable.

I have not had a chance to try it on the water, but I will very soon. In the write up from KiteWorld it should be able to give me HEIGHT, not to mention Speed and Distance. It is waterproof and has a great Velcro strap for my arm or wrist. I hope I don't get electrocuted with my MP3 and GPS on while floating in the water.

I will give everyone an update and if I recommended it for Snow, the Buggy and/or Water kiteboarding.

Bring on the Lake St Clair Crossing; first Metro to Strawberry then from MI to Canada and I won't get lost!

Dude, it will give me my HEIGHT!
Steve Martin
Santa didn't bring me one, so I'm going to buy one also except that I was going to get the Garmin Forerunner 205.

John, Did the article mention the 205?
BizB
Hey turtle, some cool software that you may want to check out to go along with your new toy...

"usa photo maps" uses tera-server images to build large images of just about any erea

gps action replay - allows you to replay your tracks files overlaid on a map image (see above)

I use "easy gps" to get the tracks/waypoints etc off of the gps unit. I have the Garmin Etrex (also waterproof).
Turtle_merged
QUOTE(Steve Martin)
John, Did the article mention the 205?

I don't think it mentioned that model.

I did send an email to Brian the US rep from Kiteworld to see if he can send me the articles in a digital form. I could scan the pages in and post them, but it would not come out to good. He responded that he should be able to get me them. When he does I will post them on this thread.

BizB, I will check out that software you mentioned, Thanks!

John
Turtle_merged
Steve, I found a thread on the Florida Kiteboarding Forum on your 205 and my 201. It looks like it is the new version of my 201.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2895

Official on the water test scheduled for 12/31/06 Metro beach.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.